Any Linux Users?

Dreakon139

I made it on .com, and gosh darnit... I'll make it here. Any Linux users around? If so, what distro do you use and why do you use Linux?

I'm on Windows at the moment, but when I do use Linux I go with Debian Testing. It's not perfect, but for whatever reason I find doing simple tasks in Linux more rewarding than that of Windows. Plus it made my laptop run cooler than Windows Vista.

*threads like this is the reason PC and Microsoft should be seperate forums*

;)

• 3 weeks later...

I used Ubuntu until 11.04. That piece of crap desktop thing that wasn't GNOME put me off it.

If I were to go back to Linux (I switched back to Win7 after that awfulness), I'd use Fedora. At least that still uses GNOME. Bugger KDE and its stupid, ugly, overcomplicated shit, and bugger that... Thing that came with Ubuntu 11.04.

GNOME or Xfce. The only two decent desktop managers.

I used Ubuntu until 11.04. That piece of crap desktop thing that wasn't GNOME put me off it.

If I were to go back to Linux (I switched back to Win7 after that awfulness), I'd use Fedora. At least that still uses GNOME. Bugger KDE and its stupid, ugly, overcomplicated shit, and bugger that... Thing that came with Ubuntu 11.04.

GNOME or Xfce. The only two decent desktop managers.

Debian comes with GNOME. It's my de-facto Linux OS whenever I decide to pop one onto my laptop.

Debian Testing is cool. If you have the repo's set up right, you never have to deal with the whole "10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04" OS upgrading, everything is updated in bits and pieces on the fly. Things can get a little buggy at times since they're Testing repositories, but it's a small price and it's less buggy than running on Unstable.

I don't have Linux on my laptop at the moment because its software lacks a few key features that greatly inconveniences me (I need a media player that shuts down my PC when the video file ends, slow/unusable Flash performance on many sites other than YouTube, video player doesn't play video files loud enough and offers very few settings when it comes to volume, etc). If it weren't for those things, I have no reason to not make Linux my only OS.

I don't have Linux on my laptop at the moment because its software lacks a few key features that greatly inconveniences me (I need a media player that shuts down my PC when the video file ends, slow/unusable Flash performance on many sites other than YouTube, video player doesn't play video files loud enough and offers very few settings when it comes to volume, etc). If it weren't for those things, I have no reason to not make Linux my only OS.

If VLC or a simple shell script can't do most of those things, I will eat my own ass and film myself doing so.

I'm damn sure VLC has an inbuilt "close after play" option somewhere, if you wrote a shell script so that when the process ended, it shut down the computer, you'd have that feature, all you'd have to do was drop the video file onto a shortcut instead of double-clicking it in your file manager.

VLC can boost volume by up to 400 percent through software, so that's your loudness solved.

Adobe's Flash plugin on Linux is a bit crap, but it's actually servicable, as long as you're happy running binary blobs with no source code.

So, basically, the lesson from this is: VLC. It's a damn sexy motherf***er.

If VLC or a simple shell script can't do most of those things, I will eat my own ass and film myself doing so.

I'm damn sure VLC has an inbuilt "close after play" option somewhere, if you wrote a shell script so that when the process ended, it shut down the computer, you'd have that feature, all you'd have to do was drop the video file onto a shortcut instead of double-clicking it in your file manager.

VLC can boost volume by up to 400 percent through software, so that's your loudness solved.

Adobe's Flash plugin on Linux is a bit crap, but it's actually servicable, as long as you're happy running binary blobs with no source code.

So, basically, the lesson from this is: VLC. It's a damn sexy motherf***er.

I've spent some time fiddling with VLC. The volume controls seem pretty shaky in it as they reset themselves half the time I close the darn thing, even with "Save volume on exit" selected. As for the shell scripts and stuff, my knowledge doesn't extend quite that far yet, but after some extensive Google searching for a solution to my "shut down the PC after the video ends" problem, I came up more or less empty handed.

Flash I can live without mostly, though a little bit of me dies when I go to show my girlfriend how Linux works and it struggles (or doesn't work at all) with simple tasks like playing a video online on a site that isn't YouTube.