Final Fantasy VIII help

Kirbz

i bought final fantasy VIII on ebay for about 15$, and i got very happy when it finally arrived today. i turned it on, everything works fine. i save, works fine. go to the second save location, and im shocked to see that my save data is corrupted. i try to overwrite it, it saves fine, check again if it saved properly, nope. corrupted again. tried over and over and over again for about 15 minutes, then i took out the memory card, blew it, inserted it back in, still didnt work. changed to memory card slot 2, still didnt save. whats wrong? is it the game? my ps2? my memory card?

im really starting to think the PS2 hates me. first my pretty white slim ps2 dies, now the save data keeps on getting corrupted. i bought this memory card on ebay for 5$ so that may be the problem, but i dont know. the ps2 im using now is a phat black one, since my pretty white one died :(

here is the memory card i bought, just in case if its the memory card and i need to get a new one. and if this memory card is no good, can someone link me to a good ps1 memory card??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330672272003?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648#ht_1108wt_1139

Just wondering if you have tried saving any other games on that card, if not you may want to try that because I doubt it would be the game itself plus you can't save ps1 games on a PS2 card dunno why so you might need a new ps1 card, I would go with an official one as they are more reliable

The memory card you showed looks like a 3rd party version.

This is what the original ps1 memory card looks like.

http://www.amazon.co...28864454&sr=8-4

Can't you use ps2 memory card instead of the ps1 memory card to save your FF8 game?

no, sadly ps2 memory cards dont work on ps1 games and vice versa :( but i have some friends that have a ps1 they dont use anymore so maybe theyll let me borrow their memory card. if not ill have to look for another one, but 30$ is a bit expensive

Just wondering if you have tried saving any other games on that card, if not you may want to try that because I doubt it would be the game itself plus you can't save ps1 games on a PS2 card dunno why so you might need a new ps1 card, I would go with an official one as they are more reliable

thats the only ps1 game i have. i also had tekken 3, but i let a friend borrow it and never saw it again.

The memory card you showed looks like a 3rd party version.

This is what the original ps1 memory card looks like.

http://www.amazon.co...28864454&sr=8-4

Can't you use ps2 memory card instead of the ps1 memory card to save your FF8 game?

No. PSOne memory cards worked on the "Block" method (15 blocks per card). The PS2 was more refined and had 8k cards. That was the "only" thing that was not B/C for hardware. As stated earlier, PSOne games had to be saved on PSOne cards to be used. PS2 games on the PS2 cards.

i bought final fantasy VIII on ebay for about 15$, and i got very happy when it finally arrived today. i turned it on, everything works fine. i save, works fine. go to the second save location, and im shocked to see that my save data is corrupted. i try to overwrite it, it saves fine, check again if it saved properly, nope. corrupted again. tried over and over and over again for about 15 minutes, then i took out the memory card, blew it, inserted it back in, still didnt work. changed to memory card slot 2, still didnt save. whats wrong? is it the game? my ps2? my memory card?

im really starting to think the PS2 hates me. first my pretty white slim ps2 dies, now the save data keeps on getting corrupted. i bought this memory card on ebay for 5$ so that may be the problem, but i dont know. the ps2 im using now is a phat black one, since my pretty white one died :(

here is the memory card i bought, just in case if its the memory card and i need to get a new one. and if this memory card is no good, can someone link me to a good ps1 memory card??

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1108wt_1139

The Mega compression memory cards are famous for not keeping saves. Never, ever use 3rd party controllers or memory cards with PSOne or PS2 hardware. There were instances of 3rd party hardware actually corrupting and/or breaking systems. Only controllers/memory cards with Sony's blessing (GUNCON from Namco is a good use it for example) should be used (notice that SONY doesn't appear anywhere on the card...and that is BAD). You have to remember back in the day that everybody was dumping anything they could on the market to get in on the Sony bandwagon once the PSOne proved to be the market leader, some without any QA testing. Honestly, I think it's the memory card. I'd run a test with another PSOne game, if you can stumble over one at a local independent used game dealer, but I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that the MEGA card is the issue. They are unreliable IMO.

No. PSOne memory cards worked on the "Block" method (15 blocks per card). The PS2 was more refined and had 8k cards. That was the "only" thing that was not B/C for hardware. As stated earlier, PSOne games had to be saved on PSOne cards to be used. PS2 games on the PS2 cards.

The Mega compression memory cards are famous for not keeping saves. Never, ever use 3rd party controllers or memory cards with PSOne or PS2 hardware. There were instances of 3rd party hardware actually corrupting and/or breaking systems. Only controllers/memory cards with Sony's blessing (GUNCON from Namco is a good use it for example) should be used (notice that SONY doesn't appear anywhere on the card...and that is BAD). You have to remember back in the day that everybody was dumping anything they could on the market to get in on the Sony bandwagon once the PSOne proved to be the market leader, some without any QA testing. Honestly, I think it's the memory card. I'd run a test with another PSOne game, if you can stumble over one at a local independent used game dealer, but I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that the MEGA card is the issue. They are unreliable IMO.

lol i never owned a ps1 so i dont know much about it, but thanks. ill definitely get an official memory card. do you have one for sale? ;o

lol i never owned a ps1 so i dont know much about it, but thanks. ill definitely get an official memory card. do you have one for sale? ;o

No sorry. I only have about 5 of them and need every one. I'm going to throw something out there. Now don't quote me, but I've heard that all PS3's can run PSOne software. Now I don't know the validity of that statement, but have you tried to run FF VIII on it? I have the fully BC launch phat PS3 so I can't help you in that manner. Also, if you are running a PS2 Phat, and you can come across one of the HDD for it, you can use the HDD to store your saves, but you'll still need to transfer them back to the PSOne card for actual play.

• Like 1

No sorry. I only have about 5 of them and need every one. I'm going to throw something out there. Now don't quote me, but I've heard that all PS3's can run PSOne software. Now I don't know the validity of that statement, but have you tried to run FF VIII on it? I have the fully BC launch phat PS3 so I can't help you in that manner. Also, if you are running a PS2 Phat, and you can come across one of the HDD for it, you can use the HDD to store your saves, but you'll still need to transfer them back to the PSOne card for actual play.

yes, all PS3's read ps1 games including the slim PS3's, but i want to play ff viii in my bedroom since the ps3 is in the living room. i also dont really like playing ps1 games on a ps3 because you cant reply to messages and stuff... so its very annoying when you get a message

Just keep your PS2 running until you finish the game :P The worst that can happen is your house catches on fire and everyone dies. Seems like a fair gamble. Squall is worth it :holy:

lol doesnt sound too bad, but i have never played the game before, so if im underleveled for an unexpected boss fight i have to start from scratch.

lol doesnt sound too bad, but i have never played the game before, so if im underleveled for an unexpected boss fight i have to start from scratch.

You will want to save OFTEN...there will be plenty of party squishing moments that come outta nowhere. Welp, I'd suggest trucking the PS3 back and forth then. At least this way you can play the game until the Memory card shows up.

You will want to save OFTEN...there will be plenty of party squishing moments that come outta nowhere. Welp, I'd suggest trucking the PS3 back and forth then. At least this way you can play the game until the Memory card shows up.

hopefully everything will work fine after i get the memory card... but thanks for the tips

I have alot of sony ps1 mem cards since I never like to delete my save files. All of my saves got corrupted after a few years.