Zelda: Majora's Mask Remake is Coming to Nintendo 3DS! :D

FluffyAssassin64

Majora's Mask 3DS  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How excited are you?

• Best day of my life!
    • Incredible, love this game!
    • Awesome, wanted to play this for ages!
    • Yeah, looks alright, might pick it up eventually
    • Meh
    • Nah

This comes from a Famitsu interview, translated by Nintendo Everything...

- According to Aonuma, after Ocarina of Time 3D released, they considered what to develop next

- Shigeru Miyamoto said to Aonuma: ''If we ported Majora's Mask to a portable device, woudn't it play more smoothly than the original as it is possible to put the game in sleep mode at any time?''

- Aonuma refused at first since he had memories about how development of the original game faced great difficulties

- Also thought, ''if we made the remake, there would likely be many parts to be changed''

- Aonuma considered the remake seriously and played the original again

- Thereafter he thought: ''If this thing is changed, it would be easier to play''

- The difficulty balance assumed that players had experienced Ocarina of Time before

- For the remake, new players are also being considered

- Aonuma: ''Specifically speaking, parts that were conventions and weren't explained at all are changed, and challenges which you realize by repeating many times are made easier to understand.''

- The changes in Majora's Mask 3D are intended to help stumped players with hints

- Three-day cycle remains the same, and the system for following other people's actions aren't changed

- A boss battle will be seeing changes

- Players will be able to fish at two places

- Gyro controls returning in Majora's Mask remake

- Dev team is also using the know-how from A Link Between Worlds to make more pleasant touch controls

- Visuals will be the same on original and New 3DS

- Mysterious tease from Aonuma: ''Please wait for the opportunity to discuss how playing on the New 3DS differs at a later date.''

I hope you can turn off the gyro controls. Worst idea ever.  I tried one of Sonic Lost World 3DS' special stages, couldn't even finish it because I couldn't even do anything.

630x.jpg

Game will be available on all models, however

Due to North America and Europe likely receiving the New Nintendo 3DS in early 2015, and withThe Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D due in Spring, some were concerned — albeit unnecessarily — that the much-anticipated remake would be an exclusive for the new system. Thankfully, Eiji Aonuma has cleared the air in an interview with Famitsu, and stated that the visuals of the game will be the same whether the player is using the New model or the original. However, he did leave a subtle hint of how the new 3DS may offer additional functionality:

Please wait for the opportunity to discuss how playing on the New 3DS differs at a later date.

Additionally, Aonuma-san has left some insight of the controls for the upcoming remake, and has drawn gyroscope similarities (such as firing arrows) to its predecessor, Ocarina of Time 3D. Furthermore, he mentions the implementation of touch screen controls, and references A Link Between Worlds by stating that the team working on MM3D will be improving on the touch screen controls used in the last Zelda 3DS instalment. Aside from that Aonuma-san's interview was largely nudging and winking, though fans following this remake will be used to that by now!

It is clear that the New 3DS will offer some unique features to games that are also playable on the original 3DS. What do you think the New 3DS will bring to MM3D? Are you happy that MM3D will likely share a similar control scheme to OoT3D (with perhaps similar touch screen controls to ALBW), or can you envision a far better control layout for the unique mechanics of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask?

And so begins Nintendo trying to force you to buy a New 3DS (Still can't believe they went with that as the final name...Guess I should've seen that coming with people who named the Wii and Wii U)

630x.jpg

A change in a boss fight and fishing included

Following our previous article of Aonuma-san's interview with Famitsu regarding The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, more details from the interview have been interpreted. Commencing the interview — and summarised by Siliconera late last week — Aonuma-san indicated his initial concerns over the project due to his "troublesome memories from originally developing Majora's Mask", and how there were many things he would have liked to change if they were ever to do a remake. In fact, he actually said "no" to the project at first.

In terms of changes in the new version, Aonuma-san stated that things that weren't explained in the original game were the main area he'd like to work on — at first that may sound disheartening to theorists and storytellers. He added that he would like parts involving repetition to be easier to understand, though that won't adjust the general difficulty.

We didn’t make the game easier. There aren’t any extra hints thrown at you when you’re not sure what to do, but there are all kinds of other mechanisms in the system that I think you’ll notice.

Aonuma-san then continued with some unexpected news, and probably the most interesting part of the interview.

While I can’t say much about it… one thing— a boss fight has been changed. Upon trying a boss fight on the original version for the first time in a while after playing the remake, it’s like, ‘how do I beat this guy again?’ it’s that type of content.

Towards the climax of the interview, Aonuma-san revealed that fishing would make its return, but this time to a title where the feature wasn't existent in its Nintendo 64 counterpart.

You’ll get to fish! Although… it makes you wonder whether you’ll have that free time to fish in the world of Majora’s Mask. So we’ve added fishing ponds. Two of them, too. There might be something monstrous you could fish out, so please look forward to it.

He concluded the interview by joking about the player deciding to fish while seeing the world literally end in front of them.

It seems that with more and more Majora's Mask 3D news being revealed on a weekly basis, Nintendo may reveal a lot of the surprises. Let's hope it leaves out the best bits to allow players to experience them organically for themselves. So, which boss fight do you see being altered?

I'll be interested to see what they changed.  Also, fishing while the world ends reminds me of OoT where you could fish endlessly while ignoring the threat of Ganondorf and his baddies, even if it wasn't timed like MM.

• 3 weeks later...