Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransaction shop wasn't fully live in retail copies

kidhero99

So someone in the Giantbomb thread said it hadn't been mentioned yet, but the review copies that were sent out actually had all the microtransaction stuff disabled in the game as seen here on today's episode of The Lobby at 1:18:25.

Also from today's giantbomb podcast: 

Jeff was talking about it on the podcast and assumed/hoped that stuff was somehow a parody of microtransactions because it wasn't clear if you could actually spend real life money on it in the version they had. I think that says a lot about where we're at with this stuff now. They explicitly said that the microtransaction part of it (which they, again, weren't sure was actually a thing when they recorded the podcast) wasn't in the game.

Edit: Stephen Totilo's clarification:
uLjWelx.pngGVWUyzw.png
iVmV5P3ybWu8K.gif

Glad I'm renting this thing from Gamefly.

The microtransactions have been in every game since revelations, they are completely optional and sort've counter-intuitive. For instance. Its 50 dollars for 20,000 abstergo credits in AC3. But you don't actually need more then about 2,000 to unlock everything. And on top of that. You can get about 5000 in a couple hours. This is old news. And before you jump on my back about them being there in the first place. Thats just how it is these days. I'm just glad Ubisoft is smart for making it the way it is. Or that they are really dumb for making them practically useless. No one is gonna buy all of that when you can easily spend some time in the campaign to get it yourself. Its just annoying when "gamers" keep screaming "Itz pey 2 wiin!11!" "Ubisoft sux!" It may be there. But you can easily choose to ignore it and have just as much fun.

Edited by shananiganyo
  • Like 1

I just saw the auto unlock everything DLC in Black Frag and thought it was totally useless.  Why would you pay for a game, only to weasel out of collecting/exploring everything by paying to unlock it for you instead of doing it yourself? It's like cheating yourself.

Edited by Lady Lilith
  • Like 1

I just saw the auto unlock everything DLC in Black Frag and thought it was totally useless.  Why would you pay for a game, only to weasel out of collecting/exploring everything by paying to unlock it for you instead of doing it yourself? It's like cheating yourself.

No wonder Ubisoft won't do linear games; you can't nearly gouge your consumers for every penny they have without shit like this that you can get away with in an open world game.

Laziness I imagine. Though, I suppose that's exactly why Ubisoft knows it will rake in even more money doing this stuff.

mjx1omb4i7zkygnlvzatdmo9d.png

Edited by kidhero99