It Came From the Desert on Sega Megadrive/Genesis, pricing revealed

Lady Lilith

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-01-it-came-from-the-desert-is-getting-an-extended-cut-on-sega-mage-drive

The 1989 Amiga campy sci-fi action classic It Came From the Desert is getting an Extended Cut exclusive to the Sega Mega Drive, a platform it was planned for, but never actually released on.

The game's original publisher, Cinemaware, has teamed up with Pier Solar developer WaterMelon to turn this curio into a reality. As you may recall, Pier Solar was developed in 2010 for the Sega Mega Drive before it more recently got Kickstarted for an HD release on contemporary hardware.

Cinemaware released the Sega Mega Drive version of It Came From the Desert - which differs greatly from its Amiga counterpart - over a decade ago for free via emulation. This new Extended Cut, however, will be exclusive to an upcoming Limited Edition of the cartridge-based game. As such, it will cost money - though no price has been announced.

This Extended Cut of the top-down retro classic will include new cutscenes, endings, a new intro sequence and "additional gameplay elements."

Furthermore, the Limited Edition includes the game, manual, mini-poster and a case with slipcover.

It's expected to come out "holiday 2014 season" and pre-orders will be available soon on itsofficial site.

Cinemaware is also working of developing a remake of its 1989 Amiga game, Rocket Ranger, which is currently in the midst of a Kickstarter campaign. Should it be successful, the remake will come to PC and Mac.

Get a glimpse at how the original It Came From the Desert Sega Mega Drive ROM looked in the Let's Play video below.

Retro love!  <3  I love it when old platforms get new releases, as if it wasn't obvious enough from all my new Dreamcast releases threads  xD

Edited by Lady Lilith
  • Like 1

Did your copy of Pier Solar arrive yet? I noticed that it's available on XBL.

Not yet.  They mentioned that the Dreamcast version will probably be the last one that goes out, because it can't be patched.  Which I guess is good, since I think the PS4 version needed a patch at launch.

• 2 weeks later...

141747296785.jpg

Back in July we shared the news that the unreleased SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis game It Came from the Desertwas finally seeing release by way of the efforts of Watermelon Games and the original developers Cinemaware. The game, originally slated for a 1990 release, was deemed by publisher EA to be too difficult and was troubled by a game crashing bug. Watermelon Games promises that both issues will be fixed.

Until now we did not know the price of the game, and as our headline suggests, well now we do! For $55, shipping not included, fans of long lost 16-bit titles will receive the limited edition release which will contain a case and slipcover, manual, poster, and of course the cartridge. Cinemaware promises that this price is final and will not change, and that more news is to come after the holidays including the start of pre-orders in January 2015.

Pretty terrible boxart, but whatever.  I'm just happy with a brand new Genesis game.  Only way it would be better is if it was for Dreamcast  xD