Playstation series - Racing Wheels Thread.

xXHeroStar1988Xx

I'm sorry, I can't find the thread of wheels thread so i decide to setup of new thread (Admins/mods if you don't like, remove please :) )

I would love to see people who have wheels in past to present.

Right now I'm start:

PS1/2 - Fanatec Speedster wheel
PS3 - Logitech DFGT, Logitech G27, Fanatec CSR Forza Edition
PS4 - Thrustmaster T300RS (PS3 including)

right now, I have only T300RS at the moment and love it so far, but i am thinking to sell and upgrade to T500 RS cos of pedal set look hardcore.

What's your? :)

Logitech Driving Force GT is my go-to wheel for PS3. It's easier to plug-and-play than my Logitech G25 and has the PS buttons, so it's more useful for games like Split / Second, Blur and Need for Speed. I'd like a G27, but don't use a wheel often enough to justify the expense. 

Neither PS4 nor XB1 support Logitech wheels, so I've just ordered a Titan One (AKA CronusMax) USB adaptor so I can use my wheels on all consoles. I'll post an update if it works.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Logitech Driving Force GT is my go-to wheel for PS3. It's easier to plug-and-play than than my Logitech G25 and has the PS buttons, so it's more useful for games like Split / Second, Blur and Need for Speed. I'd like a G27, but don't use a wheel often enough to justify the expense. 

Both PS4 and XB1 don't support Logitech wheels, so I've just ordered a Titan One (AKA CronusMax) USB adaptor so I can use my wheels on all of my consoles. I'll post an update if it works.

oooo, let us know how it going, I am keen to know.

Only reason I love T300 RS cos of PS logo :D but will buy T500RS when my T300 RS is sold first.

• 2 months later...

Update - the Titan One USB adaptor works beautifully with the Logitech Driving Force GT on PS4 in Driveclub and on XB1 in Forza 5.

I followed the setup instructions in this thread, downloaded the Forza 5 layout for the MaxAim DI plugin (same thread) and had the GT wheel up and running on XB1 in no time. I used the same configuration on PS4 for Driveclub with no problems.

A few caveats -

1. In addition to the Titan One, you need a Windows PC (or a Mac running a Windows Virtual Machine) to enable an unsupported steering wheel on PS4 / XB1. I use VMWare Fusion in OS X to run GTuner in Windows 7 and had no problems.

2. For Logitech wheels, download the Logitech Gaming Software app and install it on Windows. Doing so uses the GT Force PC drivers with the Titan One GTuner app and MaxAim Di plugin. The wheel is plugged into PC and the instructions are piped out via Titan One which translates to gamepad movements on the console. Control tweaks like button remapping, Force Feedback and Centering Spring Strength are much more customisable on PC than connecting direct to console, so that's a big plus.

3. Force Feedback does not yet work in MaxAim DI on PS4, however it is coming soon (FF does work with Xinput on MS consoles, though I've yet to test it). However, Centering Spring does work, which is what gives a wheel the heavy feel in Force Feedback. You just don't get the vibrations of Force Feedback when you hit another car, run onto the dirt, etc. I like the feel as is and more importantly, the silence - FF is pretty noisy and I have 4 sleeping kids while I game, so it's no great loss.

4. In the MaxAim DI plugin, ensure the steering wheel is selected in Direct Input > DI Settings > Game Controller. This is the first roadblock I hit and it didn't take long to figure out.

5. A second roadblock took a little longer to figure out. The default Forza 5 layout downloaded in the thread linked above has accelerator and brake mapped to the same axis, i.e. both on the R pedal, so as soon as you come off the gas, the brake will engage. Forza 5 will attempt to go into Reverse and Driveclub will lock you up heading into a corner. Usable, but not ideal.

To fix this, open GTuner > Plugins > MaxAim DI, go to Device Monitor and take a look at what buttons activate when you depress the right pedal - mine registered as R2 when depressed (foot on) and L2 when unused (foot off). To remap to separate axis (L / R pedals), go to MaxAim DI > Direct Input > DI Settings. Again, depress your L / R pedals and make note of the mapping - my R pedal registered as IY, L pedal as IRz. Finally, edit the Forza 5 DI Layout so R2 is IY- and L2 is IRZ-. Boom...separate brake and accelerator pedals.

Titan One + Logitech GT wheel far exceeded my expectations and I'm really happy with the outcome. The steering is solid with no noticeable input lag. Pedals work fine, though keep in mind #5 above. Also, note #2 - install your PC wheel drivers or it won't work.

For those using Thrustmaster or Fanatec wheels, search the Titan One (or CronusMax) forums for threads related to your weapon of choice. The cost of the USB adaptor is far less than forking out for a new next-gen steering wheel and IMHO, even without Force Feedback to date, a Titan One is a fantastic investment if you want to use an existing wheel on next-gen consoles.

Long story short - consider this as confirmation that Titan One works on PS3, PS4, XB1 and 360 to enable unsupported steering wheels. While Force Feedback support isn't in the Direct Aim DI plugin yet, the developer does have it working and it's on the way. As mentioned, Centering Spring works, so the wheel has as much heft as you want to give it.

Buyer's Tip: Titan One is more or less the same thing as CronusMax. The difference being the guy who invented the CronusMax and wrote all their software split from the company and used his IP to develop the Titan One. As a result, Titan One offers support for other PS4 toys like Xim4 (m/kb adaptor), PlayStation TV and tweaking the light bars on the DualShock 4, unlike the rival CronusMax. Titan One's software updates are more frequent and new features are added on a regular basis. For my money, get the Titan One.

I'm off to bang out a few laps in Driveclub.  I'll also be giving it a bash in some older PS3 games - GRID felt terrible on a G25 / DFGT with native PS3 wheel drivers; it'll be interesting to see if that improves using the Titan One.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Update 2 - Here's an alternative for G27, G25 and DFGT - http://www.match4newconsole.com. This device does NOT require a PC and supports Force Feedback (rumble, not true FF). In short, you can plug-and-play your PS3 Logitech wheels on both PS4 and XB1 and you'll get some Force Feedback effects.

What isn't clear is if the M4 Converter supports Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheels. There's no mention of either brand on their website, nor is there a support forum. However, there is a Facebook page and I've asked if Fanatec / Thrustmaster wheels are support. No response yet, though the impression is that any PS3 / 360 device will work on PS4 / XB1.​ Buyer beware!

The M4 Converter will only work if a racing game natively supports wheels and you're limited to the wheel-tuning options within the game engine. So don't expect your shifter to work if the game doesn't support it. Also, in the demo videos, the guy seems to move the wheel an awful lot for small turns, but that may simply be a game setting. 

Native wheel support shouldn't be a problem in most cases for sim racing games, however the Titan One enables steering wheel support in ALL games. That's because it's translating wheel movements to gamepad movements, so the game thinks you're using a DualShock, AND you can tweak the wheel settings to your heart's content using the PC drivers, as well as enable shifter support & remove deadzones using GPC scripts.

Here's another option - http://playstore.cc/products/maxrace-f-1-v-5-for-ps-4...I get the sense it's expensive Chinese junk. Be prepared for disappointment.

I love to mess around with stuff you're not supposed to be able to do, so I'll persist with the Titan One (it has many other uses besides steering wheel support, like Macro & rapid-fire mods) and wait for the Steering Wheel with true FF plugin for GTuner. If you want to bypass the PC and simply plug-and-play your existing wheels, M4 Converter looks like your best option.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick update. I've combined my G25 pedals with my Driving Force GT because...well...just to see if it could be done. The setup gets even trickier, but it works a treat in-game.

MaxAim DI in GTuner can only assign one Game Controller for Direct Input, so you're stuck with either the wheel or the pedals by default. Here's how to get around the problem. 

What you'll need -

1. Leo Bodnar Pedals Adapter to use the G25 pedals as a separate Game Controller in Windows. The G25 pedals won't work if connected direct to the DFGT wheel.

2. VJoy to combine the G25 pedals with any steering wheel into a single virtual Game Controller in Windows.

3. Universal Joystick Remapper to map pedals, wheel, buttons and d-pad to the vJoy.

STEP 1 - Create a virtual controller in vJoy by firing up Configure vJoy. Configure the controller with the number of buttons, axes and POV Hats (d-pad) you want to remap to your wheel and pedals. In my case X (wheel), Y (accelerator), Z (brake), RX (clutch), 24 buttons (the DFGT has 20), and 1 Hat in Continuous mode.

vJoy.jpg

Hit ok. Confirm that the virtual controller has been created by opening Game Controllers.

Controllers.jpg

STEP 2 - Open UJR. On the Axes 1 page, assign the Physical Stick ID and Physical Axis to the wheel and pedals. In my case the DFGT wheel is X-axis, Stick 1, Axis 1. Accelerator is Y-axis, Stick 2, Axis 2. Brake is Z-axis, Stick 2, Axis 1. Clutch is RX-axis, Stick 2, Axis 4. Press the pedals and move the wheel to confirm your own settings.

UJR.jpg

STEP 3 - On Buttons 1 and Buttons 2, I clicked Auto Configure Stick ID 1.

Buttons.jpg

For Hats, I selected Stick 1.

Hat.jpg

STEP 4 - Leave UJR open, then run GTuner and the MaxAim DI plugin. Open Direct Input > DI Settings and select vJoy Device. The DFGT wheel and G25 pedals are combined in the vJoy Device.

DI.jpg

STEP 5 - Finally, I had to remap my L2 button from IRZ- to IRX+, simply because that's how I setup the Brake in UJR. Aside from that, all buttons should work as per the Forza 5 Layout a few posts up.

MaxAimDI.jpg

STEP 6 - Leave UJR, GTuner and MaxAim DI running and connect the Titan One. Plug the DualShock 4 into the Titan One's USB port. Plug a micro-USB cable from the Titan One PC port into your a USB port on PC.

STEP 7 - Play your game. The DFGT wheel and the G25 pedals are detected as a single device on the Titan One, and the PS4 thinks the Titan One is a DualShock 4 controller. Happy days.

This setup won't help my abysmal driving, but it works and it's awesome.

Edited by ant1th3s1s