So how much of this game is like Super Smash Bros?

This is just out of curiousity. From what it looks like, almost everything from the percentage health meter to special moves to knock back seem very similar. Reviews for it have been less than favorable, and admittedly gameplay footage don't look as smooth as Smash.

Before, anyone says, "Why not just play Smash Bros?" , know that I have and always will believe that nothing can top it. Yes, not even Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, as the mechanics of that game is way different. I'm just curious because like many people here I do enjoy my trophies, but I do want to have some fun while going for them.

Any comparison info is appreciated. Thanks.

From what I can recall, Cartoon Network doesn't have as many moves as that from Brawl, and I believe sometimes when you perform certain moves, the game tends to lag (for me at least). Also, the specials aren't all that great to begin with, but rather just take ideas from the original shows that they featured in.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help. However if you are looking for a somewhat easy platinum to add to your list, then by all means hit up Cartoon Network Punchtime Explosin XL. All you will need to do is play a certain character X amount of times, buy everything, play on certain stages, and complete the main story. Can be doable in half a day's worth.

Edited by GarciaFever
  • Like 1

• 9 years later...

The objective of the game is legitimately identical, though there are a few differences only through the amount of modes they have and of course the incredibly different mechanics of the game (or how it feels is what I mean).

By default there are 3 lives (or stocks), with items and assists on (standard). This is almost just like booting up any smash game for the first time. If you want to turn off items or change the amount of lives, you want to go to custom game. This is also where you can do the timed mode however this mode is kind of weird and you can't have time and lives on at the same time. Custom game is great for trophies where you need to fight a guy 10 different times for some reason because you can set to 1 life.

You also drop cubes every hit depending on the amount of damage dealt and everyone fills up meter after collecting 40 cubes which gives access to your "final smash" which are much more balanced in this game thankfully since they don't kill at low percents and can actually be shielded rather easily forcing them to be used in combos.

Knockback is janky as heck. There are three forms I call, jab hitstun, bounce, and tumbling. Jab hitstun never moves the character anywhere and never will. Moves with this property tend to suck because of that+they don't deal much damage+most moves with this are untrue multi-hits because of this+they can shielded during use as a result+it's just bad lol. 

Bounce is better for combos and all moves with this property will eventually scale to > tumbling. The main difference is tumbling will put you in lay down state just like in smash bros but tumbling also gives access to another broken game mechanic that the devs actually added on purpose "breakout" which cancels all knockback by using an attack or jumping.

Scaling also is also strange because of this knockback mechanic. Logically, it functions exactly to Smash Bros knockback but it's just a lot less smoother in comparison. A character will bounce very slightly at like lets says 54% but the moment they reach 55% they go tumbling across the stage it's pretty dang hilarious transition but that's just how it is.

Moves are very simplified. Rarely you will have an attack with "sweetspots" or "sourspots" but all moves as a result feel much more consistent. Granted... the game doesn't feel consistent many times but that just makes it funny to me. It's a game where just when you think you've seen everything it just throws another curveball at you. There are so many weird things about this game still to be discovered and I'm all for it.

Lastly, PS3 is very laggy and has its OWN mechanics. I primarily play the Wii version as it feels smoother but that just shows me that there's even more stuff to learn by looking at other versions. It is truly a deep rabbit hole to go down through is my overall review of this game.