Modding. What's the appeal?

Dreakon13

The Mod community itself is huge. One of the main reasons I like modding some of my games is to add replay-value. For example, when I had MOH Allied Assault, I had 100% in everything and became bored until I stepped into mods. You feel like a kid trying new toys and if you follow the instructions correctly or investigate which are the most "stable" mods to apply, they are very easy to erase without causing repercussions.

As for the graphic improvement it largely depends on how careful you are. Surprisingly, you can make refined textures without stepping into many resources. Though only ID Software with RAGE comes to mind when I'm saying this, but you can also take a look at the mess 4A Games did with Metro 2033 on PCs to the point of requiring a homungous amount of resources in order to be played on ultra settings or at least look decent.

Imo mods are toys that kind people have lent us to enjoy many games even more. Once you get yourself involved and start knowing the ins and outs of how to Mod it can rapidly become very addictive.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

While I do agree, to an extent, the creators are still human and make mistakes. Isn't their intent (besides obviously making money) for people to have fun with their creations? If they've taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way, is it so wrong to correct it?

It's not pompous to make a change because you personally would have more fun with the game, a lot of developers would probably appreciate and encourage it.  It is pompous to do it because you think the developer simply didn't develop their game correctly (ie. "Look see!  The fans could've done it better!"  Oh yeah?  Then why don't you build a game like Skyrim from scratch instead of piggy-backing off of everyone elses hard work, punk?).

Same idea at the end of the day, but it's all in the attitude.  In my opinion at least.  Anyone that calls vanilla Skyrim "unplayable" for reasons other than bugs and glitches, are doing the developers a huge disservice.

I'm the OP btw, just a different account. xD

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1