Image noise with RGB range set to limited

Ocelot_109

Ever since I have my PS3 I had RGB range set to full. Now I have found out that my PS3 theme (it's the Raccoon City theme from PS+: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/xVu0TnylW9k/hqdefault.jpg) looks much better when I set the range to limited. When set to full the image appears much too dark and it's hard to make out all the details. The problem now is that in games I experience quite some image noise when the screen turns all black, for example when starting game there are lots of black screens between all the logos and loading screens. The same is true when something really white is shown, but it's not as bad as with black. I get a perfect black when my TV switches resolutions (when I start a game) so it definitely has to do with the setting and not my TV by itself (Panasonic TX-P42GW20). So I'm facing a dilemma: better color but image noise for black and white or dark pictures which get too dark actually but at least no image noise. Any solutions?

• 2 weeks later...

Try increasing the noise reduction settings on your tv. I know the troubles of the RGB full range setting, it makes everything too dark on my TV BUT the TV in the living room supports the setting and makes everything colorful while keeping the light level the same. I have a theory as to why. If your tv isn't backlit, mine isn't, then putting the RGB Range setting to "full" makes things dark.

When i first got my ps3 i always had it on limited because full made everything dark, but than i found what i needed to do. if your tv can handle rgb full range you should use it and adjust your brightness settings. Use the picture below, and adjust your settings until you can see all of the boxes. I recommend saving the image to a usb drive or something so it can open full size.

fullrgb_test.jpg

Not all tvs can do full rgb, so if your brightness is all the way up, and you go blind just to see the very first box, you should just go back to limited.