Ethernet/Wi-Fi Problem?

Kid Ryan

Does anyone here know why our PC loses internet connection when I plug the ethernet cable into our Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

The Wi-Fi does work, and when the Comcast technician connected his laptop to our internet via ethernet, he got impressive speeds.

System Info:
PC Model: HP 110-326 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium G2030T @ 2.60 GHz
RAM: 4.0 GB
Video: Intel HD Graphics
HDD: 500 GB

Open the control panel and then navigate to the Network and Internet portal.  Next go to the Network and Sharing Center. After that go to Change adapter settings on the left. A new window should then pop up that displays all of your available network ports (ethernet, bluetooth, wifi, etc.) Check to make sure that the ethernet port on your computer isn't disabled. If it is, you can right click it and select enable this network device. 

If this isn't the problem, make sure that you have the wires plugged in to the right place on your router.

And if it doesn't work after you make sure the wires are plugged in to the right place let me know and I can give you a few more steps to hopefully solve your problem.

• Like 1

Open the control panel and then navigate to the Network and Internet portal.  Next go to the Network and Sharing Center. After that go to Change adapter settings on the left. A new window should then pop up that displays all of your available network ports (ethernet, bluetooth, wifi, etc.) Check to make sure that the ethernet port on your computer isn't disabled. If it is, you can right click it and select enable this network device. 

If this isn't the problem, make sure that you have the wires plugged in to the right place on your router.

And if it doesn't work after you make sure the wires are plugged in to the right place let me know and I can give you a few more steps to hopefully solve your problem.

I still need help, I tried both of those suggestions and our PC is still not connecting to the internet via ethernet.

Is ethernet port turned off in the bios? Hit the appropriate f(number) at boot to get into settings and see if there's even an option to to turn it on/off(though itd pretty weird if it was off. The other problem could be a bad ethernet driver for your computer. Which isn't so bad, just time consuming, however I don't know windows 8 enough to walk you through that. Are you familiar with ubuntu? If you can install ubuntu on a thimb drive and boot(at boot hit the appropriate f(number) to select boot options and select usb) select try ubuntu live(it'll have its own drivers) and if the Internet works, then you know it's windows without doubt. Having a ubuntu boot able thumb drive is great to have to determine whether something is windows or not.

http://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

Remember to select try ubuntu, not install, pretty hard to miss. Hope I helped! :)

I still need help, I tried both of those suggestions and our PC is still not connecting to the internet via ethernet.

Do you know if your router blocks new MAC addresses or has static IP addresses for each of them? If it does, the MAC address of the ethernet port is different than the wifi antenna's MAC address. You might have to go into your router's settings to manually add in the new MAC address if this is the case.

Do you have another computer to plug in your ethernet cable? Its possible that your ethernet port died.

Try buying a usb ethernet adapter, if that is the problem.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+ethernet+adapter&sprefix=usb+ethernet%2Caps%2C610

I wouldn't recommend a usb ethernet adapter unless you have a few USB 3.0+ ports and the adapter was also 3.0+. Anything less is so close in speed to 802.11n wifi that it's not worth it.

All I know is that when I plug the ethernet cable into our modem + router combo device, my ethernet connection still keeps switching between "Connected" and "Unplugged Cable".

It can't be the ethernet cable though, since my PS3 accepts it just fine, and I did disable the wi-fi connection first.

Ahh the beautiful 2in1s. Heck that could be your problem. But from the fact that it's switching back and forth which is new information, I think it's a bad driver.

What exactly have you tried and not tried? We've given sound advice, and a usb with ubuntu on it will tell you right away whether it's windows or the computer hardware. Fixing problems require trial and error unless it's obvious.

Or you could just backup your data and reinstall windows which is pretty painless, but unnecessary unless you're like me and like a new computer every 6 months ;). You'd just use the format option in Windows 8 settings. It'll reinstall all the basic drivers for you. But backup everything you have that you don't want to be marked as overwritten!

I don't have the option of uninstalling/reinstalling windows etc since it's my mom's PC, and I'm a complete foreigner when it comes to ubuntu, no clue how to run/use it.

Someone on another forum suggested that I should get a plugin or USB wired ethernet network adapter though.

Do you think that would help?

Edited by ToddlerNaruto

Getting a usb ethernet adapter would help rule a few things out, but It's speed will be reduced by the usb2.0 protocol. I say go for it sense they're cheap on amazon, and you don't know how to do the other things(but you could learn!). Pm me tomorrow afternoon to remind me, and I'll look into the ethernet driver for your computer. I'm still betting it's that.

• Like 1

Getting a usb ethernet adapter would help rule a few things out, but It's speed will be reduced by the usb 2.0 protocol. I say go for it sense they're cheap on amazon, and you don't know how to do the other things(but you could learn!).

PM me tomorrow afternoon to remind me, and I'll look into the ethernet driver for your computer. I'm still betting it's that.

Thanks for confirming what others have said...I found a CableMatters USB Ethernet Network Adapter for $9.99, is that a good brand?

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-USB-2.0-Fast-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Black/dp/B00ET4KHJ2

Yup that will do, in fact I think I have the same one. I don't use it, but with ultrabooks coming out without the rj45 port, it's good for ruling things out. If it works, I highly urge you to learn a little about ubuntu, as to determine if it's windows. It's much easier than it sounds. And I can almost guarantee you won't be happy with the speed from usb2.0

Edited by dav9834

Yup that will do, in fact I think I have the same one. I don't use it, but with ultrabooks coming out without the rj45 port, it's good for ruling things out. If it works, I highly urge you to learn a little about ubuntu, as to determine if it's windows. It's much easier than it sounds. And I can almost guarantee you won't be happy with the speed from usb2.0

Ultrabook what? I only have my HP 110-326, which is a desktop, not a laptop.

Or does that not matter? I just bought the ethernet adapter, so if I need to cancel it please tell me soon.

As for USB 2.0 being slow, my desktop doesn't have 3.0 ports, seriously.

Edited by ToddlerNaruto

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and bought an USB 2.0 Wired Ethernet Network adapter, so far it's working perfectly. Heck, my connection actually improved from 6 mBps to 8 mBps after I switched from wi-fi to ethernet.

I would still like to fix the PC's built-in Ethernet Network Adapter though, so I don't have to rely on the USB Adapter.

4369660844.png

Edited by ToddlerNaruto

I went ahead and bought an USB 2.0 Wired Ethernet Network adapter, so far it's working perfectly. Heck, my connection actually improved from 6 mBps to 8 mBps after I switched from wi-fi to ethernet.

I would still like to fix the PC's built-in Ethernet Network Adapter though, so I don't have to rely on the USB Adapter.

4369660844.png

That's well and truly enough for a gaming connection. The only minor concern is your ping, which could be a touch faster. Otherwise, your Up / Down speed is more than sufficient, including for broadcasting and Share Play.
  • Like 1

Damn that's a nice picture. You got that with the usb2.0 adapter? Well speedtests can't be fully relied on anyway, the easiest way imo is to upload/Download a large file and time it, then do it again with whatever you want to compare. But otherwise I wouldn't be complaing at all with that. I have 30/3-4, which is more than enough for the family, unless you torrent I suppose :/ . Sense your not sure what to do to trial and error the problem, your best bet imo would be to just bring it to a computer repair place. I'm still on the bad driver boat. But unless you find games aren't running smooth, then I'd just be happy with the adapter. :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My wi-fi was always working fine. It's the ethernet connection that is broken.

I have a workaround via the USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter, but I'd still like to run the PC's built-in ethernet adapter.