Tonto's Trophy Room

James_Tonto

1Ld3d22d.png

Final Fantasy XV

Platinum #116

My fourth and final platinum, for January 2018, and it was a blast. FFXV is a game, I was anticipating for ages. It's got everything I want and need from a good game, and a great Final Fantasy title. An engaging story, well written characters, a fascinating world, and an open world, that doesn't feel empty or lacking in interesting activities. If there's one game, I can recommend you play this year, that wasn't released this year. Then this has to be one of my top recommendations, along with Horizon Zero Dawn.

• 2 months later...

1L451f44.png

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)

Platinum #117

I had a blast playing through Shadow of the Colossus, the PS4 version really is the definitive version of the game. It takes all my problems from the PS3 HD release, and smoothly solves them. While also providing a superior game visually and control-wise. If you're thinking about buying this game, definitely go with the PS4 version, it's the superior game, in my humble opinion. You can see my full thoughts, back on page 1. ^_^

• 1 month later...

1L13ff8b.png

God of War

Platinum #118

I had a wonderful time playing through the seventh entry in the God of War franchise. This game is gorgeous visually, and controls well. The characters are brilliant, and the story is engaging. I love how the Norse mythology and world is used in God of War. I particularly enjoy Kratos's portrayal in this game, as well as his relationships with the other characters. I'm looking forward to the next game in the series.

• 2 months later...

1L611434.png

The Little Acre 

Platinum #119

I had a fun time with this game. It's a short and sweet journey to the platinum. The game is fun, easy to play and doesn't overstay its welcome. I actually think the game is a little too short, and I could see a little additional time spent on expanding the story or world, could've made this game an even better experience. The game is still good and worth playing, a fairly fun and easy point and click adventure. I'd recommend going in blind and playing through twice, unless you absolutely want to finish the game ASAP. Then you should use a guide, to speed things along.

Edited by James_Tonto

• 3 months later...

1Lfd4eb8.png

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Definitive Edition
Platinum #120

I've finally hit 120 platinum trophies, my trophy progress has been somewhat slower this year, but I've enjoyed each game so far. Shadow of War was fun to play through, I enjoyed the enhancements made to the Nemesis system, in particular I loved the look of some of the unique orcs in the game, such as 'The hairy' Olog and 'The Machine' and 'The Tower'. I know there are still more totally unique looking orcs I never got to recruit into my army. I also enjoyed the Blood Brother system, though it did get annoying when an Orc or Olog's Blood brother got killed by Sauron's forces and they blamed me instead.

Edited by James_Tonto
Typos.

• 3 weeks later...

1La2014d.png

Marvel's Spider-Man

Platinum #121

Spider-Man, this game. It does everything right, it's everything I would want in a Spider-Man game. It doesn't focus on Spidey's origins, but actually takes place after Spider-Man has been around awhile. I think this is one of the best portrayals of Spider-Man, Peter Parker's double life as a hero and his normal everyday life. Great designs for Spider-Man and his suits, and all his villains. Great characters, fun and enjoyable gameplay and enough extra content to keep you busy without slowing down the game too much. Definitely the definitive Spider-Man game, I would really recommend playing this game. I had a blast with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Not my greatest year for Trophy hunting. I've hit several road bumps in my plain and simple ability to sit down and enjoy a game. The main one being the loss of the TV I kept in my old bedroom, which forced me to set up my PS4 downstairs. Plus I've been pretty busy over 2018, and I got into a lot of PC games.Still I at least had a lot of fun, with the games I did manage to earn platinums for. Here's to hoping 2019 is a year, where I can finish more of my backlog.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1L891f42.png

Spyro the Dragon

Platinum #122

It seems like almost all of my original PSX gaming idols have made the leap, over to the current era of gaming. We've got Crash, Abe, Spyro and my fave skeleton Sir Daniel Fortesque this year. Spyro's updated visuals really breath a lot of life into the games. It still plays like I remember, the good and bad. But it feels like a wonderfully authentic experience. I did have to look up a guide or two, for when I couldn't remember or figure out, where the last gems were in some levels. Overall though, I had a good time with this game, nothing too hard or challenging and I'm looking forward to beating Spyro 2 and 3. 

• 2 months later...

1L3f1abf.png

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage

Platinum #123

I've beaten the second game in the trilogy, and I had a good time overall. Their were some things that did annoy me about this game, little things like the Trolley segment. I enjoyed visiting all the different worlds the game had to offer.The boss Fights were pretty easy, but fun nonetheless. And like the first game in the Reignited Trilogy, the re-imagined versions of the characters, look fantastic. I especially liked Elora, Hunter and the Professor's redesigns. Classic PSX Hunter kinda looked strung out on drugs, due to his wide bulging eyes back in the day XD. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1L8b875e.png

Alice: Madness Returns

Platinum #127

I've finally gone back to playthrough and complete this gem of a game. Alice Madness Returns was an enjoyable game, one of the gems on the PS3. The game still looks brilliant and I had a smooth trophy hunting experience with this one. I don't recommend the American McGee's Alice DLC, unless you absolutely need to play all the games in a series. Or just can't stand seeing your trophy completion below 100%. Hopefully this game will be backwards compatible when they bring out the PS5.

• Like 3

1Ldd56de.png

Saints Row IV

Platinum #130

Another game ticked off my PS3 backlog. I enjoyed the game, but suffered so many crashes, that they impeded my enjoyment of the game. I'd suggest playing the PS4 version of the game as that is apparently a lot more stable than the PS3 version I played, so presumably less crash-prone. Only advice I can give is play offline with network disabled if you play the PS3 version, as once I did that, it crashed less frequently.

Edited by James_Tonto

1La1d567.png

Darksiders Warmastered Edition

Platinum #131

I had both Darksiders 1 and 2 as part of my PS Plus for awhile. I decided to go back and try to platinum those, before I play Darksiders III. While I had a good time overall, I felt the tedious grind when levelling up weapons, working on those improvised weapon kills and when riding War's horse. I'll still recommend the game, just bear in mind you'll have a lot of grinding to do, even with Legendary Weapon Enhancements.

• 2 weeks later...

1L145b0a.png

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edtion

Plat #132

Completed Darksiders II fully, it was a long journey. Made longer by a large number of collectibles, scattered across five worlds and all their dungeons. As well as several crashes and other weird bugs, like Fast Travel becoming disabled, until I went back to the menu and reloaded. Overall I had a good time, though after looking through all the things I have to collect in Darksiders 3, I'm taking a break from the series and I'm aiming to earn the platinum in 'Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom' or 'Uncharted: Golden Abyss' next.

1L746365.png

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

Plat #133

I just managed to squeeze one more platinum into April, with Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. Been awhile since I beat so many games in one month, but with Majin that's 7 completed and ticked off of my backlog. I honestly needed a game like this to just unwind, after all the backtracking and busywork of finding collectibles in Darksiders 2.

Edited by James_Tonto
Fixing a typo

1L0ff030.png

Guacamelee 2

Platinum #134

First platinum of the month and another game ticked off my backlog. While I really enjoyed Guacamelee 2, there were definitely points where I got frustrated or just stuck in the game. Most notably when trying to reach the Holy Hen in the Crucible. I still enjoyed the game overall and I think it's a great sequel, though it feels like a game that was intended more for co-op. Even more so than the first game. If you've got someone at home to play with, then I recommend beating this game in co-op.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1L93a5ac.png

DOOM Eternal

Platinum #135

After trying to solo the multiplayer for what feels like months, I finally sat down with some coop partners to hammer out the grind for the multiplayer kills. Thankfully not the worst online kill grind I've had to do, I'm pleased to have this platinum in my collection and I look forward to 100% completing it again, after the DLC comes out.

• 4 weeks later...

1Lb8278e.png

Undertale

Platinum #136

Another game ticked off of my to-do list. This was my second playthrough of the game, since I beat it a few years back on PC via Steam. I had a blast with both playthroughs, it was interesting to play through again. It was a fun, short jaunt down memory lane, revisiting Undertale. And I think it holds up overall, as a fun little indie gaming gem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1L455da6.png

Control

Plat #137

My thirteenth platinum this year, Control was a blast to play through. I especially recommend this game, if you enjoy and frequent the SCP Foundation wiki like myself. Overall I had a blast, the game's only real faults in my eyes, are some technical issues. Like that mission 7 bug, the framerate drops and stuttering that you get. During particularly heavy combat and when exiting and entering menus.

Edited by James_Tonto
  • Like 1

1L108650.png

Burly Men at Sea

Plat #138

Clearing out another game that's been sitting on my PS4's hard drive for awhile now. This short little point and click was pretty fun overall, A good game to play if you need to just chill and essentially detox from more intense games.

• 6 months later...

1L1e42ff.png

Deadpool

Platinum #139

First Platinum of 2021, Deadpool's a pretty good game. It's just long enough to not overstay its welcome, but it doesn't have much replay value. I think it nails comic book Deadpool's trademark sense of humor really well, breaking the fourth wall and poking fun at the world and the characters in it.

• 3 weeks later...

1Lb963dd.png1L3c1681.png1Lf65027.png

Earned three platinums, bringing myself up to 142 and just 8 away from the next milestone platinum, the big 150. I have several games worthy of my 150th spot from Red Dead Redemption 2 to Final Fantasy VII Remake. I'll probably take a stab at earning the Arkham Knight patinum later this month, Arkham City really left me feeling a bit drained and needing a break from the arkham games.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

1Laed705.png

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Platinum #143

Quite a fun and at times challenging platinum to earn. I really enjoyed Lords of Shadow.

Edit: I picked up the DLC, on Paladin difficulty it's a particularly punishing experience. Especially The Forgotten One, I had to take about a day to calm myself down and vent about the boss, before I was ready to tackle him again. I put the difficulty down for a bit to beat him, then re-downloaded my save and beat him on Paladin difficulty after 5 attempts. I'd really only recommend going for 100% on this game, if you absolutely loved the game and want that 100%.

Edited by James_Tonto
Completed the two DLC expansions