How to unlock characters?

Fantetti

So I just completed the story, and I'm working on the collectibles next.  I'm trying to get the first red brick from "Raptor Enclosure" and the guide I'm following says you need to use Dennis Nedry.  (Red Brick (Nedry Mode) – Use the dig spot in the fenced in area (the one where the truck is).)

​How the hell do I unlock this character?  I for the last few hours have been running around lost and its really frustrating the games inst giving any clues how to do this.

So I just completed the story, and I'm working on the collectibles next.  I'm trying to get the first red brick from "Raptor Enclosure" and the guide I'm following says you need to use Dennis Nedry.  (Red Brick (Nedry Mode) – Use the dig spot in the fenced in area (the one where the truck is).)

​How the hell do I unlock this character?  I for the last few hours have been running around lost and its really frustrating the games inst giving any clues how to do this.

No, the Red Brick unlocks Nedry Mode. Assuming you are using the PST.org guides (I worked on those), the parentheses indicate what that Red Brick cheat is.

To access this you just need a character with dig abilities. If memory serves, you should have one unlocked through story progression. Remember that characters still need to be purchased before they can be used in levels, unless they are main story characters.

If you're still stuck, shoot me a message on PSN, I'll be on this afternoon, and I'll load up my game and see if I can help further. Been a while since I played, but I don't recall the dig ability being particularly unique - I think John Hammond, but don't hold me to that.

Pulling from my Roadmap;

Characters are unlocked either through Story progression, collecting Fossils/Mini-Kits and achieving Stud score targets, and in the Paddocks (more on this later). Fortunately, you should get all the unique Characters early in the game, so there should be no need to hunt or purchase Characters for your Free Play run. Furthermore, the game will prompt you to switch to the necessary Character during unique interactions (pressing vita_r.png will swap to the recommended Character)

• Like 1

Dennis Nedry specifically is found in one of the paddocks.  You have to play a minigame using a dinosaur with acidic spit to get his character token.

For characters you should already have...Alan Grant has the dig ability.  So does the guy from Jurassic World, I think.

Edit: Oh hell.  He's using my guide.  Is it that confusing? :(

Edited by themindisacity
  • Like 1

I started roaming around in the "medium paddock" and unlocked 2 more .  ones a trooper female, and some guy.  when I try to choose a different dino in the medium paddock everything is grayed out.  I cannot help but think I am over-complicating this...

I started roaming around in the "medium paddock" and unlocked 2 more .  ones a trooper female, and some guy.  when I try to choose a different dino in the medium paddock everything is grayed out.  I cannot help but think I am over-complicating this...

Ok, now I'm lost. Are you in a story level or in a hub area? In the Vita version, there are no red bricks in the Hubs, only in levels (this is, I believe, the opposite of the console games, where Bricks are only found in the hubs).

It sounds like you are in a paddock, and you won't find any Bricks there.

I'm gonna pull my entire guide explanation as it may help

Important note about Characters and Free Play.

Characters are unlocked either through Story progression, collecting Fossils/Mini-Kits and achieving Stud score targets, and in the Paddocks (more on this later). Fortunately, you should get all the unique Characters early in the game, so there should be no need to hunt or purchase Characters for your Free Play run. Furthermore, the game will prompt you to switch to the necessary Character during unique interactions (pressing vita_r.png will swap to the recommended Character)

Unlike previous games, dinosaurs can also be selected as free play characters, although there are exceptions. Large dinosaurs, like the T-Rex and Indominus, cannot be used in levels. In a couple of areas, the game will provide a Triceratops or Ankylosaurus for use as part of the story, but that is the only time you can use them, even when they are unlocked.

Unlocking dinosaurs is a different process, and not explained in the game. The Amber Bricks scattered throughout the game, are necessary to unlock the dinosaurs. Each Chapter has 6 Fossils for a specific dinosaur, and one Amber Brick. Collecting the 6 Fossils for a dinosaur will unlock a holographic image in the Innovation Centre, but does not unlock the dinosaur. To earn the dinosaur, you need the Amber Brick from that Chapter (Example, the Chapter with 6 Fossils for the T-Rex also contains the Amber Brick for the T-Rex). Collecting the Amber Brick will unlock the dinosaur for Free Play even if you do not have all 6 Fossils.

Remember that once collected (unlocked) in Levels, Characters and Red Bricks must be purchased before they can be used. Dinosaurs do not need to be purchased. The store can be accessed on the upper level of the Innovation Centre, to purchase unlocked Bricks or Characters. After purchasing, you can toggle Bricks on and off from the pause menu at any time.

• Like 1

You are.  Most of the characters in the paddock are useless; save the paddock area for last.  And you can't switch dinosaurs until you find each breed's amber brick.

Just play through all the story levels first before you try doing free play and you'll be fine.

You're using my guide, and in the introduction I tell you what specific levels to hit to get the few abilities you need for freeplay that you don't already have from story mode.

Edited by themindisacity
  • Like 1

Dennis Nedry specifically is found in one of the paddocks.  You have to play a minigame using a dinosaur with acidic spit to get his character token.

For characters you should already have...Alan Grant has the dig ability.  So does the guy from Jurassic World, I think.

Edit: Oh hell.  He's using my guide.  Is it that confusing? :(

nah i just must suck that bad at this game.  i havent played a lego game since lego indiana jones on xbox360.

so right now im in the medium paddock, trying to get in the doors they lock when they see you.  and the dna thing says use a dino with camo ability.  so i make one and the game wont let me choose that dino.  everything is grayed out but the triceratops.  

nah i just must suck that bad at this game.  i havent played a lego game since lego indiana jones on xbox360.

so right now im in the medium paddock, trying to get in the doors they lock when they see you.  and the dna thing says use a dino with camo ability.  so i make one and the game wont let me choose that dino.  everything is grayed out but the triceratops.  

Just ignore the paddock areas until you've finished freeplay.  You need to get amber bricks from freeplaying the story levels to unlock the dinosaurs.

• Like 1

You are.  Most of the characters in the paddock are useless; save the paddock area for last.  And you can't switch dinosaurs until you find each breed's amber brick.

Just play through all the story levels first before you try doing free play and you'll be fine.

You're using my guide, and in the introduction I tell you what specific levels to hit to get the few abilities you need for freeplay that you don't already have from story mode.

i completed all the story levels.  do you mean complete everything like getting the amber and stud goals for the story levels?

ah ok, in the guides it had all the collectibles listed and where to get them.  i was trying to collect them all at once.  so do i need to focus on amber first through all the levels, then move on to the next collectible?

Edited by Fantetti

i completed all the story levels.  do you mean complete everything like getting the amber and stud goals for the story levels?

ah ok, in the guides it had all the collectibles listed and where to get them.  i was trying to collect them all at once.  so do i need to focus on amber first through all the levels, then move on to the next collectible?

I'm going to cut/paste directly from my guide here.

"When you're ready to start free play, I highly suggest that you first play Jurassic Park: The Dig Site to get the Velociraptor, then move to The Lost World: San Diego Docks to get Pachycephalosaurus, and then to Jurassic World: Indominus Paddock to get Dilophosaurus. This will minimize any backtracking you may have to do for free-play cleanup."

Personally I recommend just playing the levels again in order and clearing them of all collectibles 100%, but that's your call.

• Like 1

I'm going to cut/paste directly from my guide here.

"When you're ready to start free play, I highly suggest that you first play Jurassic Park: The Dig Site to get the Velociraptor, then move to The Lost World: San Diego Docks to get Pachycephalosaurus, and then to Jurassic World: Indominus Paddock to get Dilophosaurus. This will minimize any backtracking you may have to do for free-play cleanup."

Personally I recommend just playing the levels again in order and clearing them of all collectibles 100%, but that's your call.

going to take your advice you appear to know what youre talking about.  youre guides are both wonderful, im just making this more complicated than it has to be.  im going to go fetch those 3 dinos and see what happens.

Ok, i feel like a dumbass.  I just went to the "Raptor Enclosure" level and went where it said the brick would be and guess what....it was in the fenced in area.  When i was reading the guide i thought it was saying i needed to be in "Nedry Mode" to perform the recovery of this red brick.  Sorry guys, i understand my mistake now, thank you all for your help and clarification on this.

Ok, following the guide CORRECTLY i was able to collect everything with ease.

Amazing how i misunderstood such a simple step.  What had happened was i was reading it as i needed to be Dennis Nedry to complete the task or obtaining that particular collectible, not that collecting the item would UNLOCK Dennis Nedry mode....

Thank you both again for clearing that up, the guide are all amazing and made this very easy.