Final Fantasy XV *NEW* E3 gameplay + more

DPtheGod

Edit: Please refer to new Megathread for newest updates!

Final Fantasy XV

E3 2016 Gameplay from GameSpot stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfBpNoheWIo

12 and a half minutes of new gameplay and more, showing off exploration, combat, fluidity, and more. This is fresh from a live stream GameSpot.

Impressions (so far) from major journalist sites who have already raided the FFXV booths.

IGN

After two hours into Final Fantasy XV’s campaign, I can’t help but trace the lineage of Square Enix’s new blockbuster RPG in the back of my mind. But the first two chapters never feel like a derivative work, with the core story and presentation leaning on the type of strong characterization and blockbuster graphics that have come to define Final Fantasy. You could almost picture director Hajime Tabata and his team spending the last few years playing other games and saying, “Hey, wouldn’t this be a great idea to put in Final Fantasy?” And, somehow, the unique sauce blends multiple flavors into a cohesive and ambitious vision of a modern RPG.

IGN: Final Fantasy XV: The Biggest Name in RPGs Is Making a Comeback

Destructoid

All told, the preview session convinced me I'll want to dig into the final version which, as a non-fan, is a big deal. They finally did it. But there are two things I'm anxious about: whether or not consoles will be able to handle running Final Fantasy XV reasonably well, and what the open-world design will feel like after, say, 25 hours (will it become a slog?). We probably won't know until September.

Destructoid: Final Fantasy XV has won me over

Ars Technica

This was also a good scene for me to try out the game's magic-synthesis system, which allows players to take magical energies gathered in the game and split them up into mixes of different elements to create new twists on standard spells. More electricity in a standard fireball would allow it to chain the attack to hit other nearby enemies, for example, while other boosts added team healing and slow-down effects to attacks. I didn't get a good tutorial or explainer for this magic-synthesis system, but I am hopeful that its final version enables a lot of player-preference customization for gamers to make the game feel the way they want.

Ars spends two hours driving and battling in Final Fantasy XV

I'll update as I find more impressions.

On a personal note, being able to chain elements/magic sounds freaking AWESOME! Overall, good impressions are coming from this, with only a few potential issues coming up. Looking forward to 9.30!

Edited by DPtheGod
  • Like 1