Need Some Advice

So I am at the end of chapter 1 on normal. I have recruited everyone to the town that I possible could up to this point. I believe my digimon are in generation 5 or 6 and I am only able to reach low 1000 stats in Ultra form. I was primarily using the gym to boost stats and get to the next evolution. After digging around online I found that I should be grinding battles instead. There are a ton of suggested routes and the one that I chose to follow started at rookies with less than 400 in stats. However, the fighting is difficult and I don't have the required money to keep spending on recovery items at this point in the game. Also, I am not sure how I am supposed to grow all stats equally whenever an enemy only really raises 1 at a time. 

Does anyone have a fool proof method to boost stats in late chapter 1? I tried fighting the chapter boss with my 2 ultras with low 1k stats and got crushed. No real problems with any other fights thus far. Also how do you keep your digimon from evolving beyond rookie while you are grinding said stats? To expand on that question...how do you get them to digivolve past rookie when you are ready for them to? I really don't want to restart the game on easy since I feel like I am already invested in this play through. I am sure the concept will be easy once I have it down since it is merely repetition one generation after another, but I need to understand the concept first. This is my first digimon world game and I did not find the tutorials extremely helpful. 

sorry to tell you this but that advice is absolute bull shit in my opinion since i was able to beat most of the early chapter bosses with ultimates. what you need isnt really a better way to get stats but a more productive use of your time. Now im assuming you are talking about the boss fight in the desert where you fight machinedramon i was able to raise some pretty strong ultimates dont remember their stats but at that point they couldnt have been stronger than your ultras  the key to beating that boss is simply to unlock the defend command skill from among your tamer skills this will nullify 90% of damage inflicted by the enemy when used so if you time it right you can win very easily thats all there is to it you have to fight smart when you have weaker digimon there is no way for you to make them any stronger without recruiting more digimon you can try and earn money by fishing and selling the fish but it gets very very tedious. Please be aware that all i have said above only applies if you want to keep playing normal mode you can change to easy mode whenever you want to by talking to punimon without restarting or changing anything the only thing that changes is that training gives more stats battles are not affected. You cant stop digivolution after a certain number of days have passed a rookie will inevitably evolve even if all stats are not met when you unlock the digivolution dojo (recruit grapplerleomon) and upgrade it 1 or 2 levels it will allow you to block an evolution so that you can choose which digimon to evolve to. You are right that understanding the concept is the best thing to do the best way is trail by error you learn fastest by playing and learning sure getting advice online helps but you learn fastest on your own in my experience