Hollywood Undead “Five” Album Review

Remilia Scarlet

Hollywood Undead first hit the music industry in 2007 with the release of their 7 Song Sampler, to positive reviews. Critics praised their crass humor and loose approach to music. The following year Swan Songs took the industry by storm, selling over 3 million copies. Hollywood Undead became a cultural phenomenon and the numbers continued to grow. Undead became their anthem.

Ten years after the release of 7 Song Sampler, Hollywood Undead is back with a new album, and the band continues to prove that they have what it takes to stay in the limelight. 

Five is undoubtedly a musical achievement. With hard hitting guitar chords, rapid drumbeats and powerful, expressive lyrics, Hollywood Undead’s newest album reinvigorates a stagnant industry with a fine selection of songs. 

My favorite song on the album is Bad Moon. A melancholic but hopeful lyrical presentation forces the listener to ponder why we do what we do. A repeating chorus echoes the sentiment of melancholy before giving way to hard strings and a strong beat.

The rest of the album follows a similar pattern to spectacular effect, and it never lets up. Pray (Put Em in the Dirt) is probably the hardest song on the album. Screams of rage and a very heavy drum beat punctuate the lyrics alongside rapid guitar riffs and a furious chorus.

Cashed Out follows a typical rap style with a beat reminiscent of Eminem or 2Chainz. It’s not a standout song but is enjoyable as a humorous diversion from the anger-fueled lyrics and ferocious beats of the other songs.

The most surprising and poignant song on the album was Nobody’s Watching. This song in particular shocked me in its composition in the style of a southern gospel song. When I say surprised I mean that in a very good way.

While the song does retain the rap lyrics, they are much softer and far more uplifting than any of their other songs, with the added benefit of being 100% clean. Midway through the song Danny takes over and his silky voice calls out to everyone to sing, sing like nobody is watching and just let loose. Before long a choir joins in and Danny goes to town, lifting his voice as high as possible.

This album is an achievement, not just for Hollywood Undead but music in general. In an industry oversaturated by peppy popstars and vapid songs, Hollywood Undead’s new release proves that meaning as well as fun can still be had in a stagnating world. HU has returned, hitting hard and keeping the beat going relentlessly, while continuing to find ways to shock and innovate, as well as inspire the singer within all of us.

Final Score: 9/10

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Nah, I'm just being a dick and misread.

I actually have been meaning to give Five a download though sometime. I'll bop back in whenever I get around to listening to it.

So I take it you’re a fan of the band then? What is your favorite song by them?

Nicely done. I agree with it all. Definitely showing why they are still awesome.

I've always had an issue with Danny though, not that he's rubbish or anything as cynical as that. Just, ever since the second album his involvement seems to be the same, like chorus' and other times he's signing just seem to be the same, to me at least. So I was quite surprised when I heard Nobodys watching  and the same when I heard Ghost Beach. To me they were really good from him.

You might not agree but that's just how I've felt when hearing him since the second album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meacham said:

Nicely done. I agree with it all. Definitely showing why they are still awesome.

I've always had an issue with Danny though, not that he's rubbish or anything as cynical as that. Just, ever since the second album his involvement seems to be the same, like chorus' and other times he's signing just seem to be the same, to me at least. So I was quite surprised when I heard Nobodys watching  and the same when I heard Ghost Beach. To me they were really good from him.

You might not agree but that's just how I've felt when hearing him since the second album.

Danny is my favorite member of the band with Johnny 3 Tears being the second, so I don’t see it like you do, although I do respect your opinion and can see how you would think that!

2 minutes ago, Freelancer Tex said:

Danny is my favorite member of the band with Johnny 3 Tears being the second, so I don’t see it like you do, although I do respect your opinion and can see how you would think that!

I like Danny, I think he's great, his voice is great.. I just think for someone with a unique voice like his it should be shown off to the max. I just think they could utilize it more that doesn't sound the same the majority of the time. I'm no music expert in the slightest though, so what do I know? haha