Best Ys to start with?

Lady Lilith

So I've been curious about the Ys series for quite some time, so much that I download Ys Seven onto my Vita, and am looking into getting Ys 1 + 2, Oath/Origin (forget which one is on PSN), and have the Vita Ys preordered.  I just completed Dragon Fantasy on Vita, loved that, and was told I should give Ys a try if I liked DF.  Does it matter which one I play first, or are the stories not intertwined? Is there a specific one that walks you through the basics or gives you a good idea what the gameplay is like?

What CasaDeBen said, except I would recommend that you start from YS Oath in Felghana. TOiF is what I started off with and my experience was not ruined in the slightest. YS 1 and 2 are a bit hardcore in that it is easy to get lost in dungeons and caves, very easy indeed. And the game doesn't do much hand holding so you will have to spend a lot of time figuring out what to do next. Each game is a unique adventure and you don't need to know everything from the previous games to enjoy the other titles. YS 1 and 2 introduce you to the game's world and the protagonist Adol and his partner. But TOiF provides a good intro nonetheless. In each game Adol ventures out to another foreign land so you don't need to know much as there is but little to carry on from prior games, so they're pretty much standalone. TOiF is very beginner friendly.

YS Origin is the prequel to all of YS games as it is set 600 years before Adol Christin's time and it's only available on PC. It's a good starting point too. Has the most replay value as there are three campaigns to play.

Edited by UltimateShock