Trophy impact for lowering speed?

KhajiitWerewolf

I noticed these songs all have a default speed of 4.0. Lowering the speed to 1.0 or heck, even 3.5 can make some songs infinitely easier, and it still gives you a score like normal. Does anyone know if doing this can negatively impact the ability to get trophies, or is decreasing the speed a legitimate tactic to make getting EX scores easier?

To answer more definitively, the note speed doesn't disable trophies or otherwise directly impact them at all. That said, the slower your speed, the harder it can be to distinguish notes on harder charts, not to mention it makes getting perfect accuracy on sight harder since while the physical timing windows change proportionally to the speed (thus the notes will be in each timing window for the same amount of time on each speed), the actual visual representation of the hitzone will not actually change, so the slower your speed, the more timing zones will be represented in your visual hitzone. As an example, playing at 1.0 speed can result in the physical hitzone ranging from the Cyan Exact (best result) to a Great or even a Right (less desirable accuracies) whereas playing at a higher speed such as 5 or 6 will push those lesser timing windows outside of the visual hitbox so that the visual only represents Exacts.

The bottom line is that higher speeds will space notes out more, making them easier to read when charts get dense, as well as making it easier to get accurate hits. As such, you would do well to get used to higher and higher speeds as you go through the game and start tackling the harder charts. I personally use 5 or 5.5 depending on the scenario, though you may find that you aren't comfortable going that high or that you may even get used to something even higher.

8 hours ago, Walt the Dog said:

To answer more definitively, the note speed doesn't disable trophies or otherwise directly impact them at all. That said, the slower your speed, the harder it can be to distinguish notes on harder charts, not to mention it makes getting perfect accuracy on sight harder since while the physical timing windows change proportionally to the speed (thus the notes will be in each timing window for the same amount of time on each speed), the actual visual representation of the hitzone will not actually change, so the slower your speed, the more timing zones will be represented in your visual hitzone. As an example, playing at 1.0 speed can result in the physical hitzone ranging from the Cyan Exact (best result) to a Great or even a Right (less desirable accuracies) whereas playing at a higher speed such as 5 or 6 will push those lesser timing windows outside of the visual hitbox so that the visual only represents Exacts.

The bottom line is that higher speeds will space notes out more, making them easier to read when charts get dense, as well as making it easier to get accurate hits. As such, you would do well to get used to higher and higher speeds as you go through the game and start tackling the harder charts. I personally use 5 or 5.5 depending on the scenario, though you may find that you aren't comfortable going that high or that you may even get used to something even higher.

Thanks - this is my first rhythm game outside the Persona 4 Dancing game, so I'm trying to figure it out. Just now getting used to the 6 note configuration. Getting better, but I still ended up resorting to random button mashing to get past some of the harder levels. You can't get more than a B that way though. Thankfully the game just requires 100 ex ranks and has more than enough easier songs to manage that much.