Switching from game save played on physical game to digital game

The_Kopite

20 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

As long as it's the same region, the save game should be compatible. Game save data is a separate item from game install data.

I would have thought the same, but then I found this thread - https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-i-just-bought-rise-of-tomb-raider-on-psn-after-owning-the-physical-disk-and.25919/ and it's made me doubt myself. Would love if anyone knew for definite either way.

Edit - realised that the CUSA number is the same for both the physical version I have right now, and the digi version on sale in the PSN UK store, so you would think it would be fine! 

Edited by The_Kopite
Extra information to add

Huh, weird... That thread says it happens with many games so Tomb Raider might be one of those.

All I know is when I got Just Cause 3 through PS+ digitally it worked pretty fine with my disc save. Though, now I do recall Rayman Legends not loading my save, but at the time I blamed myself for going from PS4 to PS4 Pro and not checking beforehand if every game had auto uploaded their saves to the cloud service.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Huh, weird... That thread says it happens with many games so Tomb Raider might be one of those.

All I know is when I got Just Cause 3 through PS+ digitally it worked pretty fine with my disc save. Though, now I do recall Rayman Legends not loading my save, but at the time I blamed myself for going from PS4 to PS4 Pro and not checking beforehand if every game had auto uploaded their saves to the cloud service.

Appreciate the info. Will have to decide whether I want to chance it or not.

1 hour ago, The_Kopite said:

Appreciate the info. Will have to decide whether I want to chance it or not.

Going by that Reset Era thread (you know, first time I read that site's name I thought it Resetera was some sort of pun on "etcetera" I wasn't getting), it might just plainly not work for Tomb Raider at all.

So, you might want to look at it this way: is the PSN sale price good enough that you're willing to start all over again?

It's a shame Sony (or Nintendo or Microsoft, for that matter) doesn't have that two hour playtime refund thing that Steam has. I love digital games but there's some steps still missing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

Going by that Reset Era thread (you know, first time I read that site's name I thought it Resetera was some sort of pun on "etcetera" I wasn't getting), it might just plainly not work for Tomb Raider at all.

So, you might want to look at it this way: is the PSN sale price good enough that you're willing to start all over again?

It's a shame Sony (or Nintendo or Microsoft, for that matter) doesn't have that two hour playtime refund thing that Steam has. I love digital games but there's some steps still missing.

Very true, and sadly no it isn't a good enough price for me to start all alover again. Just got my score attack playthrough to go through.

Didn't realise Steam had that two hour playtime refund option, that's really customer friendly. Pity Sony can't do the same.

• Like 1