Faithful Cartographer glitch (and potential solution)

Whirled03

Edit: Happily this bug has now been fixed by the developers, and as of Version 1.46 (44395), I can confirm that it is now possible to correctly enter the Lake Cave in Hushed River Valley. This means that Faithful Cartographer is not necessarily bugged (unless a new bug has arisen somewhere that I don't know of). The entire reason of this original post was an assumption that the developers were not going to fix it for at least a few weeks; I'm impressed that they managed to get a patch out as quickly as they did.

I don't think I can delete the post, but even if I could, maybe it should stay here just in case the bug comes back (as I've seen that happen with other games).

[End of Edit]

I made a lengthy post in another topic already mentioning this, but I thought I should make this just in case people don't want to read through that post.

Faithful Cartographer seems to be currently bugged as of 1/9/19. The trophy expects the player to "map" every significant exterior location in the game (which mostly consists of the locations that signal the "discovery" message). To do this, the message needs to appear on the screen that you've discovered it, then you need to use some Charcoal to mark it on your map.

The "Lake Cave" location in Hushed River Valley is completely inaccessible (at the moment) due to an invisible wall. It is not possible to get into an appropriate angle for the "discovery" message to appear, and hence there's no way to properly mark it.

There's a developer post on Steam saying they are looking into it:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/1741103267282451300/

However, I've managed to find a work-around for those who still want to achieve Faithful Cartographer, and do not want to wait for the developers to fix the wall.

It can be solved with some clever wall-walking, and here's a video of me showing how I did it:

As I state in the video - Back-up your save, because you can get stuck, you can die, and you cannot leave the cave once you get there.

As I also stated in my other post, I'm fairly confident in thinking that the Faithful Cartographer progression gets saved to your Profile (which means you don't have to map them all in a single game).

This means that once you map the cave, you should be on track to earning the trophy, even after reloading your back-up save. Although personally, I wouldn't risk it, and simply leave this location for last when you're absolutely sure you've done the rest.

Edited by Whirled03
Info on bug
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10.01.2019 at 7:28 AM, Whirled03 said:

Edit: Happily this bug has now been fixed by the developers, and as of Version 1.46 (44395), I can confirm that it is now possible to correctly enter the Lake Cave in Hushed River Valley. This means that Faithful Cartographer is not necessarily bugged (unless a new bug has arisen somewhere that I don't know of). The entire reason of this original post was an assumption that the developers were not going to fix it for at least a few weeks; I'm impressed that they managed to get a patch out as quickly as they did.

I don't think I can delete the post, but even if I could, maybe it should stay here just in case the bug comes back (as I've seen that happen with other games).

[End of Edit]

I made a lengthy post in another topic already mentioning this, but I thought I should make this just in case people don't want to read through that post.

Faithful Cartographer seems to be currently bugged as of 1/9/19. The trophy expects the player to "map" every significant exterior location in the game (which mostly consists of the locations that signal the "discovery" message). To do this, the message needs to appear on the screen that you've discovered it, then you need to use some Charcoal to mark it on your map.

The "Lake Cave" location in Hushed River Valley is completely inaccessible (at the moment) due to an invisible wall. It is not possible to get into an appropriate angle for the "discovery" message to appear, and hence there's no way to properly mark it.

There's a developer post on Steam saying they are looking into it:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/1741103267282451300/

However, I've managed to find a work-around for those who still want to achieve Faithful Cartographer, and do not want to wait for the developers to fix the wall.

It can be solved with some clever wall-walking, and here's a video of me showing how I did it:

As I state in the video - Back-up your save, because you can get stuck, you can die, and you cannot leave the cave once you get there.

As I also stated in my other post, I'm fairly confident in thinking that the Faithful Cartographer progression gets saved to your Profile (which means you don't have to map them all in a single game).

This means that once you map the cave, you should be on track to earning the trophy, even after reloading your back-up save. Although personally, I wouldn't risk it, and simply leave this location for last when you're absolutely sure you've done the rest.

Hi, I have a question. Do you remember how long did it take you to platinum this game?

@HaserPL

It was pretty lengthy, but it's tough to say for sure (from what I remember, there's no way to see game time).

I want to say it was around 100 hours, but that's mostly a guesstimate.

Story Mode probably only takes 10-15 hours (to complete Episode 1 and 2) if you know what you're doing and play on Easy. If you start with Story Mode, you might tack on ~5 hours if you decide to explore more than necessary.

Survival Mode and getting 500 days/Faithful Cartographer is the bulk of the plat. If you keep on easy and follow some maps that are found online, I can see it being done somewhere between 40-75 hours. That's a pretty big window, but there are random elements in each play, which means it's difficult to give a good estimate. That time is also assuming you're using some map/guide to help you along. Keep in mind there's a chunk of that which is not even really "playing" the game; once you get to a certain point, you'll find yourself just sitting in an area using Pass Time and Resting to get to 500 days.

Challenge Mode can take a while, as each challenge can be difficult to figure out at first. Some of them rely a bit on luck, and others may take a few attempts to successfully complete. According to the game itself, each challenge is designed to be ~3 hours long, but in my experience a few took longer than that. I would say expect to spend somewhere from 10-20 hours in Challenge Mode.