Help needed with Victory Road final boss (Arcade)

Hi everyone. 

I've spent a crazy amount of time trying to kill the final boss in Victory Road but for some reason he absolutely refuses to die. Do I need a specific weapon or something because even using the rewind feature and save states he just never seems to fall.

Can anyone shed any light on this? any tips? I watched some longplays on Youtube and it seems some players walk up towards him while using a special weapon and he dies quite quickly. It's very difficult for me to reach him using a good weapon and even then he just seems to take an infinite amount of damage without dying.

Help! Really want to 100% this game.

Edited by retrohead1980
adding extra info

• 1 year later...

So, if anyone else sees this, the final boss takes forever, but is actually really easy. Just get to the left side of the screen. You want to be in a pattern where you walk forward and fire grenades, and then walk backward when he uses his claws. The bullets never hit you (they’re on your right), and the claws won’t get you if you move backward when he starts charging the up. The only annoyance are the peons that pop up every now and again.