Respeccing

SarcalogosVermis

So I've reached Way of the Wise utilising the Hayabusa Shinobi apparel armour (Dragon Ninja) and weapons, and currently my weapon of choice (Hayabusa style kusarigama) is level 228 (+26). I've managed to beat all of the base game twilight missions on Way of the Demon (going for the Destroyer of Demons trophy, trying to do Twilight missions as and when they become available), but I've hit a stumbling block, Date Shigezane. I'm finding this boss battle to be extremely tough on this difficulty, pretty much anything he does kills me in one hit if I'm in his range. Sloth is useless against him, it literally lasts about 3 seconds (my magic stat is at 60). I have yet to even start the other two DLCs, but I anticipate much the same problems with the upcoming bosses.

By contrast, I just beat Hino-enma on Way of the Wise on my first attempt without taking any damage whatsoever. I never use sloth against this boss, usually only the odd power pill and lightning talisman (though I ran out when she was down to about 75% health and used fire and water for the remainder of the fight). Yesterday I beat Onryoki after quite a few attempts (always found him more difficult than Hino-enma for some reason). All this with light armour, as I prefer my agility to be as high as possible (right now it's A).

Date Shigezane is just too fast for me at the moment. I'm thinking of practising fighting him on either Samurai or Strong just so I can at least take a bit of damage rather than getting OHK whilst I can hone my skills in fighting him. That said, I'm wondering if I should consider maybe either switching weapons, or respeccing my character to wear heavy armour sets for a tankier build (took a while for me to get to the point, but I wanted to provide some context). With regards to the latter, I have a couple of questions:

1. I know that using the Book of Reincarnation resets your skill points and gives you all the amrita you have invested so you can start your build from scratch. Does this apply to guardian spirits too - do their levels reset also?

2. More importantly for me, do all your samurai, ninja and onmyo skills completely reset? I know that levelling up magic for instance gives you magic skill points, which surely must be taken away once your magic stat has been reset to 5 or 6 (whatever it starts at). But along the way of course you pick up locks of hair which give you additional skill points. So do you receive those locks of hair back too, or does the game neglect to deduct skill points to the total of however many locks you used throughout your playthrough? I'm hoping it's the former, as I'd rather start with a clean slate as far as skills go - during my initial playthrough I regretfully invested some points in skills which I never even really use, and there are others I'd prefer to have.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by SarcalogosVermis

On 5/2/2019 at 1:23 PM, SarcalogosVermis said:

1. I know that using the Book of Reincarnation resets your skill points and gives you all the amrita you have invested so you can start your build from scratch. Does this apply to guardian spirits too - do their levels reset also?

Unfortunately no. It does only affect your character, basically reverting William to Level 1. The Spirit Guardians are not affected. 

On 5/2/2019 at 1:23 PM, SarcalogosVermis said:

2. More importantly for me, do all your samurai, ninja and onmyo skills completely reset? I know that levelling up magic for instance gives you magic skill points, which surely must be taken away once your magic stat has been reset to 5 or 6 (whatever it starts at). But along the way of course you pick up locks of hair which give you additional skill points. So do you receive those locks of hair back too, or does the game neglect to deduct skill points to the total of however many locks you used throughout your playthrough? I'm hoping it's the former, as I'd rather start with a clean slate as far as skills go - during my initial playthrough I regretfully invested some points in skills which I never even really use, and there are others I'd prefer to have.

Oh absolutely. You get all your Onmyo and Ninjutsu skill-points back, and you can distribute them however you like. You also get all the points you've spent using locks of hair, but in the form of skill-points (you don't get the item back ?). 

• Like 1

Excellent, thank you! I've since beaten Shigezane in the WOTD twilight mission (after soul matching my weapon to high heaven), but might still consider a heavier build for some of the upcoming challenges, especially all the multi boss nonsense the game likes to throw at you xD