Doom 1993 - I'm The Man & Not So Bad

bloodrive65

So far, these two trophies concern me very much so.

I'm The Man: I've been playing through the game, & realizing that I've not had very good times on my playthroughs of some levels. Although, I wasn't recording everything & time that I was doing. Just going one level after another. Until I beat each individual Chapter/Storyline (whatever they're called since the credits roll after each one). I've NEVER attempted any speedrun on anything, on any game.

How're people reloading levels? I don't mean save slots & seeing E1M6 & realizing they need a shorter time than loading that one to cut down on time. I mean, like an overall level selector, where if I only wanted to decrease my time at a specific level I could.

I would like to roam the maps freely & learn them but all of YouTube videos of individual levels go way to fast for me to follow with to see if I match the movements.

2nd question: If you pause the game, does the timer still count? Let's say I'm right and the end of E1M6 & I'm about to hit the button to end the level or whatever if I pause or go to the map, will the timer still go up or no? Like if the time is supposed to be 5:35 & I spend ten minutes away on the pause menu &/or the map, will it jump to 5:45? In turn, costing me ten minutes.

Not So Bad: My method for doing this is that I'm not sure how well "share playing" with someone would go, one due to connectivity issues & two because of skill, three being that "share play" only lasts 1 hour. I want to connect a second controller & have a friend sitting next to me playing the co-op, & they go distracting enemies trying to kill as many as possible.

2nd question: Is it possible to lock the save area that you're in inside of trying to do this trophy, aka save the game without actually having a save option?

From what I’ve gathered, pausing the game will pause the timer for your speedrun. 

Just for fun, I’ll be playing through the game casually. I’m not too familiar with the fourth episode, mostly because I did not have the version that contained it until about a few years ago when I bought the game on PC.

Play on the easiest difficulty. Playing on anything higher just means you got more enemies and therefore wasting more time on them. 

If you know exactly where the doors and keycards are you can beat most levels pretty quickly. But since you haven’t done a speedrun before you should practice a bit before attempting it. 

Those guys on Youtube know every ins and outs of this game. Two hours is reasonable I think.

—-

Nightmare in co-op is definitely the hardest trophy. I would of preferred actual online multiplayer because that would of made things a lot easier for people. 

I’ll be attempting this soon so I can’t comment on how it actually is. I’ve beaten the first episode plenty of times on Nightmare but haven’t done any of the others.

There is no level select for solo play, only for co-op. So if you don't have a save on a specific level, you'll just have to play up until that point. It's actually not as hard as it sounds, you can take up to 5 minutes on every level and still get it. I used KingDime's speed runs on GamesDoneQuick as a reference when doing Doom 1 and Doom 2 trophies, sometimes I slow the video down with YouTube's settings when it's hard to tell what he's doing to trigger some doors/teleporters. If a speedrunner does some crazy shit like rocket jumping or some kind of level clipping/key grab, I just wing it and rush for keys from memory and complete the level legit. There are also videos that show optimal routes for keys/switchs in non-speed runs with no enemies on map, they are super easy to follow. Just look up a level "E1M6 keys" for example and you'll find it.

As for the timer, Spaz covered that. I never knew that pausing stopped the timer, I was always paranoid and just reloaded a save if I had it paused too long. I abused the save option when I did my run. Play on "I'm Too Young to Die" and ignore 90% of the enemies. You have more time than you think to get each level done, most can be done in under 3 minutes, so grab armor and ammo when you need it. Here are examples, first is the empty level guide for keys, the other is KingDime being a beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SssjZ205b3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yfXcsJTJfI&t=1827s

As for your 2nd Nightmare question, as far as I know, you can't game the system and save in co-op. If you have to resume your playthrough you'll have to deal with a pistol start with no armor. Thankfully you can just choose levels in multiplayer, the game will flag any level you completed, but you'll have to remember what levels you've finished. After your speedrun, your nightmare run won't be too terrible, just trial and error running for the keys/switchs. Having a buddy (or buddies) distract monsters and keep the important hallways clear is the best way to do it, so you have the right idea there. If a hallway is impossibly clogged and there are no static weapons nearby (stuck with pistols) don't be afraid to restart the level from the main menu to try again. Focus on killing zombies (especially shotgunners), enemies with hit-scan attacks are the biggest threat on Nightmare.

Also, just in case you didn't already know, you don't need to do episode 4 for the speed run or nightmare trophies.

Edited by TheRedSeptember
  • Like 2