Run buttons won't allow fast alternation..

So, I'm pretty good at track and field on buttons or the rarer arcade stick version where you waggle the stick to run..

But what's up with this game? No matter what buttons i assign to run, it seems to ignore the opposite run button for about a second and it's actually faster to use just one button. You can test what I mean on the name entry screen.

Am I the only one this is happening to? And how do people get past the second set of hurdles on one button? Do they use turbo controllers?

I should add that this is a problem as getting 150,000 is becoming a real problem. If the buttons worked as they should, 50 million over a 6 hour period is possible, as seem on YouTube on a real arcade cabinet 

Edited by TheMightyImp2
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

I own both a track & field and a hypersports arcade machines, so have played this a lot over the years - and indeed, i thought exactly the same when I tried the PS4 version. In all actuality though, the controls work really well once you've worked out the "secret".

The secret is that the buttons are pressure sensitive and you have to tap them really lightly - almost to the point you'd imagine you wouldn't be causing anything to register. Just hit the face of the button without actually causing it to get pressed down.

It takes some practice, but once you get it, it's pretty easy to get 1250..1300 speed in eg long jump, which is what I'd expect to get on most arcade machines.

Personally, I arrange to have RUN as square and circle, with JUMP as triangle. I then have one hand with two fingers in V alternating the run buttons as fast as possible, whilst using my other hand for JUMP.

On 15/10/2019 at 6:15 PM, rastansaga said:

I own both a track & field and a hypersports arcade machines, so have played this a lot over the years - and indeed, i thought exactly the same when I tried the PS4 version. In all actuality though, the controls work really well once you've worked out the "secret".

The secret is that the buttons are pressure sensitive and you have to tap them really lightly - almost to the point you'd imagine you wouldn't be causing anything to register. Just hit the face of the button without actually causing it to get pressed down.

It takes some practice, but once you get it, it's pretty easy to get 1250..1300 speed in eg long jump, which is what I'd expect to get on most arcade machines.

Personally, I arrange to have RUN as square and circle, with JUMP as triangle. I then have one hand with two fingers in V alternating the run buttons as fast as possible, whilst using my other hand for JUMP.

Thanks for the reply. I have now set run buttons to X and circle, with jump on square. 

I toyed with the idea of using a move controller, as the buttons aren't analogue but are digital. Unfortunately it won't recognise a move controller.

I got my 150,000+ and am unlikely to play it again as the run button issue is still annoying. 

I guess I'll wait for hyper sports, lol