Kickstarter vs. Pre-orders

xVolloxx

While I agree with what he says the one thing I don`t agree with is by preordering you aren`t helping the developer.

Game stores base their stock on the interest of the game. If no one preorders the game they may get 1 or 2 copies of it in. If they get 100 preorders they are more likely to order 200 copies to cover their preorders and to cover the rest of the people who are probably going to get that game.

One of the best example of this was when inFAMOUS 2 and Duke Nukem came out. My ebs had 50-100 preorders on DNF but maybe 20 preordres on inFAMOUS. When the games came out the reviews hit and people hated DNF (tradiing it in) and were trying to buy inFAMOUS but the stores were sold out. I had staff complaining to me trying to get me to talk to my bosses to get them more stock (which no matter how many times I told them I couldn`t do that they kept trying).

So in the end they had to mark DNF down to 5$ because they had ordered too many but by that time 2k got their money from the stores and they were happy. On the flip side we couldn`t replenish inFAMOUS 2 fast enough and after a month or 2 gamers moved on to a different game and by that point it didn`t matter how many we got in stores.

So in the end if EB had been smart enough to realize that DNF was going to be shit (like most gamers did...I bought mine at 5$ ^_^) they wouldn't have ordered so much and they could have spread that purchasing money onto other games and made more off of inFAMOUS 2.