What a surprise! No spoilers

awf9495

I just finished the Muv Luv trilogy yesterday and I can't stop thinking about it. For visual novel fans, I would say it is a must play.

The first game, Extra, is a lighthearted rom com/dating sim that serves as an introduction to the main cast. Unlimited introduces us to the world in a slice-of-life VN. And then comes the emotional roller coaster that is Alternative to smash all expectations and make the entire series a must play.

The mind blowing moment for me is the realization that Alternative was planned from the start. Playing in order you will not notice it until the finale, but the crazy genius story planner came up with the idea to start a trilogy as a dating sim all the while intending to blow us all away with the tragic epic that is Alternative. Nearly everything that happens in Extra and Unlimited, no matter how frivolous it may seem at the time, matters.

I know not everyone enjoys visual novels (Alternative and Chaos;Child are two of my faves and both have around 1,000 owners listed - and it looks like a good third of those skipped through everything for the trophies), but if you enjoy a good story and don't necessarily need gameplay to hold your attention, I urge you to pick these up and play them.

Edited by awf9495
  • Like 3

Muv luv was one of the first vn's I've ever read and alternative is the one that really got me into vn's so I'm always happy to see others who liked it. Lots of people are put off by extra I guess, but honestly I enjoyed it and thought it was funny. Unlimited was starting to get interesting and then yeah Alternative just blew me away. It might not be my favourite vn anymore, but i'll always remember reading it for the 1st time as one of the best vn experiences I've ever had. It is still the highest rated vn on vndb after all these years and not without reason..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Theladozz said:

Muv luv was one of the first vn's I've ever read and alternative is the one that really got me into vn's so I'm always happy to see others who liked it. Lots of people are put off by extra I guess, but honestly I enjoyed it and thought it was funny. Unlimited was starting to get interesting and then yeah Alternative just blew me away. It might not be my favourite vn anymore, but i'll always remember reading it for the 1st time as one of the best vn experiences I've ever had. It is still the highest rated vn on vndb after all these years and not without reason..

Yeah, I was surprised to see no topics existed on this fantastic game, so figured I would put something out there. I enjoyed Extra as well and I imagine going back after Alternative would actually feel pretty refreshing. I haven't played a PC game in years, but might have to break down and get Photonflowers on Steam.

If I had to rank VN's, I know 999 would be #1 but after that, Alternative would be in the mix with Trigger Happy Havoc, Steins;Gate, Chaos;Child, Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations, and Hotel Dusk. Always feels great to play a new favorite.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, awf9495 said:

Yeah, I was surprised to see no topics existed on this fantastic game, so figured I would put something out there. I enjoyed Extra as well and I imagine going back after Alternative would actually feel pretty refreshing. I haven't played a PC game in years, but might have to break down and get Photonflowers on Steam.

If I had to rank VN's, I know 999 would be #1 but after that, Alternative would be in the mix with Trigger Happy Havoc, Steins;Gate, Chaos;Child, Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations, and Hotel Dusk. Always feels great to play a new favorite.

Hmm yea I completely forgot about the fandiscs. Photonflowers and photonmelodies are only collections of sidestories afaik, as well as photonmelodies containing Altered Fable which is basically Extra 2 (exactly what I needed after alternative!). I've played Yuuhi's route in Altered Fable because I liked her, but that vn although fun, really is 100% fanservice. I don't really know anything about the sidestories, but I wouldn't expect the same level of quality so I'd say pick it up when it's on sale or something (that's what I plan to do at least now that you've reminded me of their existence :D.

Another highly rated vn on my radar that has a kinda similar setting is Baldr Sky 1 and 2. These just received official translations too! I haven't read them so I can't recommend them with 100% certainty  just thought maybe it's something that might interest you too

• Like 1

• 2 months later...