A few tips for this game, mainly Rock & Roll

cris3f

I do like most Housemarque games, but this in particular is a RNG festival that becomes annoying. Curiously the only game I hate, Resogun, seems to be the less affected by RNG, but since I played it so little could be noobie impressions. My favorite by a gazillion miles, Dead Nation, is only affected by RNG in the stupid survival mode, which unfortunately you have to do if you want to complete everything. Alienation could be awesome if it wasn't the stupid decision of the RNG weapons.

To make it worse, the minigames in Super Stardust Delat are bloody awful. Although some are good concepts to take advantage of the Vita's uniqueness, the problem is that it doesn't work and it's more annoyance than fun. It took me a lot more time to do the minigames trophies than the rest.

Now that I steamed my annoyance with the game, let's go to what matters.

The most difficult trophy to obtain is by far the Rock & Roll minigame one. Not only the only the way to control a game in which precision and speed are required sucks, RNG plays a huge factor so what you mostly need is luck. Huge, as if you don't get a lucky run, this becomes a PITA.

There's however some information that can help a lot:

- the game drops 9 green cores at the beginning, and it only drops more when you pick the penultimate one. Do notice that once in a while it's not 9 but 10, why I could not figure but it does. You can track the number of cores picked in the top right screen, so expect them to drop again at 8, 16, 24, 32, 48 (except if you picked 9 in one run, and it can happen more than once, see below). So the most important pick in the run is the one that will make the next drop happen. You'll need 7 runs of green cores (but could be 6...) 

- the pink bumpers drop once you blow 6, then 8, then 6 or 5, then either each 1,2 or 3. The more pink bumpers you use the less you get

The game does some stupid startup setups, as I've had once all the green cores stacked precisely inside pink bumpers, so to get a green core I had to first explode the bumper. Also a few times they're just neatly at the same small distance from a pink bumper. How can RNG supply this beats me but these are the more difficult runs anyway.

Most of the times they'll be mostly spread around the location of your ship at drop time, except 2 or 3 that will be spread further away. Your goal should be to pick the stray ones first and the more concentrated around the pink bumpers later, as this will make your life easier. If you leave the stray ones to last by the third or fourth run you'll most probably have 2 green cores in awful positions away from all bumpers and stuck in or inside mine walls and it's game over. So even thought it's risky to get these first, get them. If you pick last the stray green cores away from the center of the bumpers you'll risk that the next green cores run will drop mostly away from them, and this will almost surely lead to game over. Also avoid using bumpers as much as you can, and try to avoid using a lot when you have just a few green cores, as you can be in a bad position with very few green cores and very few bumpers to help at the same time.

Once I figured this I could consistently get to the 30s or 40s. First time I almost did it I was at 49 and had 2 green cores stuck inside some mines, one extremely hard to get and the other impossible (so I clearly had two 9 green cores runs), but only had a few bumpers on the opposite side so to my disappointment I lost. I would even have made it with 6 runs.

Last advice to this mode. Around the 24 or 32 transition there's usually a large number of collisions between ships and mines (which generates annoyingly clouds of dust and bonuses that make that zone difficult to see and navigate), and after this usually there will be a huge number of ships flying around. Use a bumper to destroy a large number or becomes impossible to move around the planet.

On endless the first nuke drops around 1 minute, the next ones drop faster if you destroy everything you can faster.

Late boomer can be made with just 3 ships (2 at the same time, plus 1 more). I did it, wasn't understanding how it was possible but there's a thread about this on playstationtrophies by uncharted86, read it. It's useful, because by the time you'l get the 4th ship things are certainly pretty hectic. Even so getting the first 2 at the same time depends on luck an took me a lot of time. Exiting immediately the mine field that is growing and flying around it will make the waves of asteroids and enemies spawn half over it and many are destroyed, better than following the supply ship..

Hope it helps.

Have fun.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 1.2.2020 at 5:37 PM, cris3f said:

I do like most Housemarque games, but this in particular is a RNG festival that becomes annoying. Curiously the only game I hate, Resogun, seems to be the less affected by RNG, but since I played it so little could be noobie impressions. My favorite by a gazillion miles, Dead Nation, is only affected by RNG in the stupid survival mode, which unfortunately you have to do if you want to complete everything. Alienation could be awesome if it wasn't the stupid decision of the RNG weapons.

To make it worse, the minigames in Super Stardust Delat are bloody awful. Although some are good concepts to take advantage of the Vita's uniqueness, the problem is that it doesn't work and it's more annoyance than fun. It took me a lot more time to do the minigames trophies than the rest.

Now that I steamed my annoyance with the game, let's go to what matters.

The most difficult trophy to obtain is by far the Rock & Roll minigame one. Not only the only the way to control a game in which precision and speed are required sucks, RNG plays a huge factor so what you mostly need is luck. Huge, as if you don't get a lucky run, this becomes a PITA.

There's however some information that can help a lot:

- the game drops 9 green cores at the beginning, and it only drops more when you pick the penultimate one. Do notice that once in a while it's not 9 but 10, why I could not figure but it does. You can track the number of cores picked in the top right screen, so expect them to drop again at 8, 16, 24, 32, 48 (except if you picked 9 in one run, and it can happen more than once, see below). So the most important pick in the run is the one that will make the next drop happen. You'll need 7 runs of green cores (but could be 6...) 

- the pink bumpers drop once you blow 6, then 8, then 6 or 5, then either each 1,2 or 3. The more pink bumpers you use the less you get

The game does some stupid startup setups, as I've had once all the green cores stacked precisely inside pink bumpers, so to get a green core I had to first explode the bumper. Also a few times they're just neatly at the same small distance from a pink bumper. How can RNG supply this beats me but these are the more difficult runs anyway.

Most of the times they'll be mostly spread around the location of your ship at drop time, except 2 or 3 that will be spread further away. Your goal should be to pick the stray ones first and the more concentrated around the pink bumpers later, as this will make your life easier. If you leave the stray ones to last by the third or fourth run you'll most probably have 2 green cores in awful positions away from all bumpers and stuck in or inside mine walls and it's game over. So even thought it's risky to get these first, get them. If you pick last the stray green cores away from the center of the bumpers you'll risk that the next green cores run will drop mostly away from them, and this will almost surely lead to game over. Also avoid using bumpers as much as you can, and try to avoid using a lot when you have just a few green cores, as you can be in a bad position with very few green cores and very few bumpers to help at the same time.

Once I figured this I could consistently get to the 30s or 40s. First time I almost did it I was at 49 and had 2 green cores stuck inside some mines, one extremely hard to get and the other impossible (so I clearly had two 9 green cores runs), but only had a few bumpers on the opposite side so to my disappointment I lost. I would even have made it with 6 runs.

Last advice to this mode. Around the 24 or 32 transition there's usually a large number of collisions between ships and mines (which generates annoyingly clouds of dust and bonuses that make that zone difficult to see and navigate), and after this usually there will be a huge number of ships flying around. Use a bumper to destroy a large number or becomes impossible to move around the planet.

On endless the first nuke drops around 1 minute, the next ones drop faster if you destroy everything you can faster.

Late boomer can be made with just 3 ships (2 at the same time, plus 1 more). I did it, wasn't understanding how it was possible but there's a thread about this on playstationtrophies by uncharted86, read it. It's useful, because by the time you'l get the 4th ship things are certainly pretty hectic. Even so getting the first 2 at the same time depends on luck an took me a lot of time. Exiting immediately the mine field that is growing and flying around it will make the waves of asteroids and enemies spawn half over it and many are destroyed, better than following the supply ship..

Hope it helps.

Have fun.

Hey there, can anybody tell me if this game is harder than the original PS3 Super Stardust trophy list? (I remember the 15 bombs Late Boomer and a couple other trophies being super annoying and random).

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24.1.2023 at 1:59 PM, servus99 said:

Hey there, can anybody tell me if this game is harder than the original PS3 Super Stardust trophy list? (I remember the 15 bombs Late Boomer and a couple other trophies being super annoying and random).

Thanks in advance.

I haven't played the PS3 version yet, but I managed to get every trophy on Vita version pretty easily.

Late Boomer actually only requires you to blow up 3 ships (2 at the same time and then 1). This is because on the Vita version when you fill up the meter by collecting green dust you get 1 bomb. I managed to fill up the meter after using my first bomb to destroy 2 ships at the same time and then I just needed to destroy 1 more ship. Not sure why the trophy guide doesn't mention this.

The only trophies that might give you trouble are those that require you to use Vita's tilt function, but if you managed to do the PS3 version then the Vita version should be a pice of cake in comparison.