Retired Trophy Hunters and Reasons Why

I recently started trophy hunting again after about a year without doing so. Essentially, I can be very obsessive with trophy hunting and get to the point where I'm only playing games for trophies. It's very difficult for me to balance trophy hunting with playing games for fun. I got to the point where I was playing games I didn't want to play just for platinums and I was like... why am I doing this? And decided to just let it rest. Now I'm trying to keep my balance again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sursum corda said:

I’ve given it up at least temporarily (like for the summer). I was talking to a guy at Lowes as he was hauling my new lawnmower out to my truck. He said he couldn’t get into games these days because they’re so complicated and he liked the old style mindless games. I agree somewhat. It seems like gaming takes a lot of mental dedication, time, and energy if you are going for trophies. Which is why all the gamers I know have above average intelligence at least, as well as spare time.

My life has been changing in dramatic ways over the last couple years, especially now with the pandemic. Surprisingly, I’m living the life I’ve always dreamed of, but it’s taking all my time. Thing is, I actually learned so much while playing games that it seemed to have prepared me for some of the unexpected things that are happening now. So even though I don’t currently have time for earning trophies, they seem to have been integrated into my real life somehow. 

I enjoyed some games so much that I played them multiple times and usually got more out of them on consecutive play throughs, because there is so much to take in and yet they go by so fast. Bottom line though, I started feeling that if I were to get immersed in a video game as I did in the past, that I’d miss out on the real life things I always wanted to do and have the opportunity to do now. And I’d get knots in my stomach when I started thinking about a new game.  So I’m letting myself off the hook for a hobby, that, while rewarding, inspiring, and fun - I just can’t make myself do right now and it feels better to “let it go” 1f605.png...finally. Reserving the right, of course, to change my mind at any time. Which is a nice thing about gaming, you are free to take it or leave it w/o consequence. 

Powerful story, thanks for sharing!

9 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I recently started trophy hunting again after about a year without doing so. Essentially, I can be very obsessive with trophy hunting and get to the point where I'm only playing games for trophies. It's very difficult for me to balance trophy hunting with playing games for fun. I got to the point where I was playing games I didn't want to play just for platinums and I was like... why am I doing this? And decided to just let it rest. Now I'm trying to keep my balance again.

I totally play games for trophies too I otherwise wouldn’t play, yet the trophies make the game fun that wouldn’t be otherwise. If that fun stopped for me, I’d throw in the towel too

• Like 2