Some tips for the harder trophies

bobthecrazydog

Having finally completed the game after an insane length of time, I thought I'd stick a few things in here to help anyone else wanting to have a go at the harder trophies.

Mad Skillz (1CC arcade mode) - a lot of this is to do with patience. There are certain levels it is almost impossible to get past without dying, but there are others which you can use to stock up on lives. My successful run looked like this in the end: use the first few levels to get up to nine (maximum - you will see eight yellow cubes at the top left of the screen representing your spare lives, plus your active life) lives - you can do this by making long lines of 1000+ with a 6 combo whenever possible; try to keep your lives at max past level 10 at least; Level 15 is quite annoying and you may lose some lives, but then level 16 gives you an opportunity to stock up. And you will want to stock up because levels 24-26 will kill you a few times before you get to the next stock-up level 27. Next comes the real challenge to my mind. Levels 29-34 don't give you an easy ride, and in my case I was down to only a couple of lives going into level 35, which is the next stock-up one. The next few levels aren't too bad but then comes 41 with turbocharged line-chasers which will annihilate you if you stay still. So don't. The cubixx are slow, so you can basically criss-cross trying to complete the level as fast as possible. Don't bother nesting (making a gap to hide in) - it's more important to just get it done quickly. Once you've passed 41, you've basically won. You can use 42, 43, 45, 46 and 49 to stock up on lives. But none of the last nine levels are that bad as you can just take your time, nest and collect red power ups to keep your lives up. Just avoid the instant death ones (skull icon) and the one that speeds up the enemies (picture of a cubixx). The slow down one (rewind icon) is ideal for stocking up as long as you get to a safe point away from line-chasers. The asteroid ones are great too.

G.O.A.T. (platinum all challenges) - it is without question the hardest trophy in the game and will crush you. Even with epic skillz, luck plays a part. There are some tips though I can share for some of the trickier ones:

- for the ones where you have to kill line-chasers quickly, note that you can only kill ones flashing red (meaning they are on the same face of the cube as you). Rather than chasing after them, what worked for me is going to one corner, taking them out one after the other on a face, then moving to the next. Essentially you can cut around one in an L shape. By the time you do that, another one will be approaching you so you can do another L shape backward over where you just cut (moving a bit inside). Repeat four times and that should take out all the chasers on that face. Quickly move to the next and repeat.

- for the ones where you have to kill line-chasers slowly (but loads of them), be patient. Make a narrow cut into one side, then wait at the inside end of it, and take out the chasers one by one as they approach you. The cubixx will be one side or the other of your cut. Stay on the opposite side and keep cutting little bits away. When it gets too crowded, move to another face. But be aware that the level will end early if you cut too much away. You should aim to kill them all using only two or three sides.

- for the surfing ones. Cut all the way around (four sides in a continuous line) the cube very close to the edge. This will make one side essentially look as if it is floating alone. The point of this is that you will be using that side to surf. The thing that is most likely to kill you are line-chasers that accidentally hit you when you surf into them. By removing the connecting sides, you eliminate this possibility. Surf away on that side, and repeat on another side to get to the total. Note that the surf takes place in the direction you cut in. So try and cut towards the direction where you will be able to surf the longest.

- for the complete level really fast ones. Not much I can say except they take quite a few attempts to get lucky with the placement of the cubixx, allowing you to cut around them in smaller bits.

- for the reverse controls ones. Do these as a batch. Leave them till last if needs be. It messes with your head initially, but the levels aren't actually that bad.

- for the survival ones. Similar to the surf ones, you can cut away around four edges, and 95% of the fifth edge you are enclosing. This makes a clear line where you can avoid line-chasers except for the little bit you left to keep the fifth side attached. Simply circle round and round for x minutes, then finish the level. 

- for the ones spending time with homers, points under a black hole, points under a power up, etc. These just take patience again. Make long lines for the homers ones. For the under a power up/black hole ones, get to max combo, start a long line, and keep moving to whichever side the black hole/power ups are to stay under it as much as possible. Make sure you finish the combo while under the hole/with the power-up active. One long line should get you the target score in each case.

- finale. Is actually pretty easy. You get a counter showing how many of the 9 achievements you need. Essentially, start a long line, get a six combo and try and cut away a big face (90% or more of one side) at the same time. Then you just have to surf a little bit, and collect some power-ups and kill chasers/mini-cubixx until the counter reaches 8. Finish the level and you should get 9 (the ninth being time, which is pretty lenient).

Most other trophies - you will likely get whilst trying the challenges. You'll definitely get the deaths and line to the moon one. The whopper you can do on the first level with a massive 9000 zigzag. Speed freak, top gun and mosaic you should get too. Then you just need a friend/second controller for the co-op one (doesn't need to be done in 1CC thank God) and loads of other controllers/guitars/drums/move controllers for the deathmatch one. Good luck!

The platinum requirements are summarised in this great guide on PST https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/cubixx-hd/123715-cubixx-hd-trophy-guide-road-map.html. Credit to the authors there. Hope this, in combination with that, helps some people!

Edited by bobthecrazydog
amended grammar
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...