A good tip for Darius Gaiden

After spending a fair whack of time yesterday going through Darius Gaiden at max rank, saving & loading the most incremental of progress & coming so close to 10 million points but not getting there I ended up saying 'fuck this game', went & had breakfast. It was almost 9pm at this point & I had run out of beer. Morale was kinda low at this point. My issue was that at max rank some of the patterns were too fast to dodge & I needed all my lives & bombs at the end to push the points past 10 mil. I'd always end up having to use too many bombs.

Woke up this morning & something dawned on me so I grabbed a second controller & reloaded my save. The 2P cheese worked perfectly as I was able to use the 2nd ship to bomb while shooting with the first ship. When the 2P ship died the rank dropped heaps as well making me wish I'd done that once a stage. I also needed max missile/bomb power but was 3 pickups short. I was able to cheese this with a 2P ship as well because when you continue with a 2P ship one of each pickup spawns.

I saw a trophy guide that said the Arcade collection was 7/10 but with the 2P cheese I think it's about a 3/10. Of course the price is the most prohibitive thing about the game at this point. Both collections took all damn day and then some to plat so I think I got my $100 worth at least :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 9/25/2020 at 1:54 AM, Drag-On-Detritus said:

After spending a fair whack of time yesterday going through Darius Gaiden at max rank, saving & loading the most incremental of progress & coming so close to 10 million points but not getting there I ended up saying 'fuck this game', went & had breakfast. It was almost 9pm at this point & I had run out of beer. Morale was kinda low at this point. My issue was that at max rank some of the patterns were too fast to dodge & I needed all my lives & bombs at the end to push the points past 10 mil. I'd always end up having to use too many bombs.

Woke up this morning & something dawned on me so I grabbed a second controller & reloaded my save. The 2P cheese worked perfectly as I was able to use the 2nd ship to bomb while shooting with the first ship. When the 2P ship died the rank dropped heaps as well making me wish I'd done that once a stage. I also needed max missile/bomb power but was 3 pickups short. I was able to cheese this with a 2P ship as well because when you continue with a 2P ship one of each pickup spawns.

I saw a trophy guide that said the Arcade collection was 7/10 but with the 2P cheese I think it's about a 3/10. Of course the price is the most prohibitive thing about the game at this point. Both collections took all damn day and then some to plat so I think I got my $100 worth at least :)

So it's like in Under Defeat HD?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, MMDE said:

So it's like in Under Defeat HD?

Possibly similar in plat difficulty but totally different stuff gameplay wise. Apparently Under Defeat has a rank system but I never noticed it whereas with Darius Gaiden I was trying to use save states for a no miss playthrough in 1p mode, & the rank made the game incredibly brutal. I wish I had at the time thought about using a second player ship to control the rank, it would have made things so much more manageable. Unrelated but while I've got you here, a few milestones ago I happened upon that Mel-B guide you did & over a decade later it was still helpful, just want to say a belated thanks for that!

Aside from all that reading my own writeup from 2020 is a bit confronting tbh. The tone of it was silly but the information was factual. These days I'm only drinking in moderation on special occasions. Breakfast is currently happens somewhere around Midday to 4 in the afternoon which sucks but it's better than 9pm lol. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 5:12 AM, Drag-On-Detritus said:

Possibly similar in plat difficulty but totally different stuff gameplay wise. Apparently Under Defeat has a rank system but I never noticed it whereas with Darius Gaiden I was trying to use save states for a no miss playthrough in 1p mode, & the rank made the game incredibly brutal. I wish I had at the time thought about using a second player ship to control the rank, it would have made things so much more manageable. Unrelated but while I've got you here, a few milestones ago I happened upon that Mel-B guide you did & over a decade later it was still helpful, just want to say a belated thanks for that!

Aside from all that reading my own writeup from 2020 is a bit confronting tbh. The tone of it was silly but the information was factual. These days I'm only drinking in moderation on special occasions. Breakfast is currently happens somewhere around Midday to 4 in the afternoon which sucks but it's better than 9pm lol. 

I got a Get Fit (Fat) with Mel B guide on this site too, in an unpublished state. I should finish it!