The PS3 / PS4 / PS5 Venn Diagram

DrBloodmoney

So, full disclosure - while I’m interested in PS5 news, I’m not following so closely that I have read everything, or am quite up to speed on what is fact, what is rumour, what is true and whatnot, so here’s my question for any of you fine folks who are more in the know:

What system do I replace with the PS5?

Currently I have my PS3 and PS4 hooked up.

I have no extra HDMI ports (or space for that matter) so having all 3 hooked up permanently is not an option.

Basic thought is to replace oldest with newest (i.e. stick the PS3 in storage for hooking up when wanted /needed). This makes some sense, as I rarely play PS3 now, though I do have a blast from time to time if a game pops up in a conversation or I get a hankering to play an older game.

However, it is now sounding like actually keeping the PS3 and replacing the PS4 might make more sense, as a lot of the info I’ve seen (assuming it is correct) suggests that the PS5 will have my whole PS4 library available?

Can anyone clarify this? or answer the following:

Does PS5 have immediate access to download all my PS4 titles?

If it does, will I be able to finish earning PS4 trophies on outstanding games on PS5, or will there be a new list for these?

Is there any reason I’m not thinking of, that would suggest I should keep both PS4 and PS5 hooked up to the main TV?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Initial question would be, is it only the lack of HDMI ports that's making you think about swapping one of them out? (I have no space in my entertainment unit, but due to the size of the PS5, it's going to be stood up slightly behind my TV, I pre-ordered the digital edition so I don't have to be concerned about access for discs)

Because the answer could be to use a HDMI splitter for your PS4/PS3 and just keep it on the PS4 and switch it to PS3 when your hankering takes hold.

If you have your whole PS4 library available on External HDD/SSD/Hybrid that you can use on your PS5, then plug it in and don't waste precious PS5 SSD space on those B/C titles.

If the title is going to benefit greatly from moving to the internal drive (not all will as the game engine used may still bottleneck it) then move it to play it, then back to the external if you're going to park it again for a while.

Also, do you have PSVR?

Whilst you can order your camera adaptor FOC from Sony, depending on which model you have, it may be easier to keep the PS4 hooked up as a PSVR machine for now.

To answer your other questions:

Your PS4 library should show as available to download with the exception of the small list of non-compatible games, if you have any of those.

Playing your PS4 title in Legacy mode should still work as if you were using the PS4 natively, with compatible titles gaining from the extra horsepower of the PS5.

Only the answers to the questions above may change your view on what you keep, or don't keep hooked up.

• Like 1

@Pipsqweek Cheers - didn't realise there was a dedicated 'legacy mode' - that's good to know.

The lack of HDMI ports is a thing - I have recently gone through the (not inconsiderable) pain of running updated HDMI 2.1 cables behind my wall to the TV, and only have 2 slots available, as the others are in use - but space is more my issue - it is restricted as I have a single entertainment unit, and can't have electronics sitting anywhere else in the main room, as I have a rather rambunctious six year old, who is liable to damage them!

You're probably right about the space issue on the hard drive - obviously PS5 space may become an issue eventually (Not right away, as Demons Souls and Assassins Creed seem to be the only games worth mentioning ATM) but I do currently run all my PS4 library off an external drive, so if it's just a case of plug and play for PS5 that is a huge bonus!