Filthy Rich - A warning about net worth calculation

Crispy_Oglop

At time of writing this - It looks like the way net worth is calculated and determined in a way more nuanced and complex way in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw compared to Rebel Galaxy. I don't know if this is intended or not, but for now it's how it works. I also think that if you don't pay attention to what positively or negatively impacts your net worth from the very beginning of the game, it will drastically impact how long it takes for you to get the platinum. I assumed it was the same as Rebel Galaxy and I think I added about 10 hours onto my run time because of it.

First - the difference how both games calculate net worth for the trophy unlock:

• Rebel Galaxy - Rebel Galaxy net worth trophy unlock requirements basically boiled down to the figure you saw in your Net worth PLUS the amount you had in your wallet. This made it pretty straightforward to get with just lot's of ship purchases and high grade components in addition to some mission and resource grinding/selling. Because even if your net worth was hard to get, you could mitigate that by just filling your wallet up by completing missions etc. Net worth was also pretty easy to accrue too with the amount of ships available and tiered upgrades needed to weaponise them
  • Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - Rebel Galaxy Outlaw net worth trophy unlock requirements only pulls from your net worth and DOESN'T add what you have in your wallet to it as a total. Also, buying Ships and ship gear only gets you so far, there is way more of a ceiling than in the first game. Net worth is way way more sensitive in this game too and can fluctuate very easily and if you don't pay attention to it and what affects it early on - it can add quite a few hours onto your platinum run.

Things you should pay attention to from the very beginning of the game to reduce the grind for the Filthy Rich (3 million net worth) trophy.

• Ship Upgrades and purchases will only get you so far
    • There is way more of a net worth ceiling in RG:O with no tiered weapons and the fact that there aren't as many ships either. You will also likely find that you have bought everything you need for your ship(s) and still be only around 1-2 million net worth. I think with a Coyote and all of the fully upgraded components + good weapons i was at 1.1 million net worth.
  • Buying and selling items can drastically impact net worth negatively or positively over time
    • If you just sell stuff for the credits without paying attention to how it impacts net worth, you may end your main playthrough losing out on 500k to 1m of net worth (maybe more) - which is a good few hours of extra game time grind. Everything that you sell for equal price or a loss of profit will decrease your net worth. Only selling items high will positively impact net worth.
  • 'Source' missions for the Merchants guild are great for net worth gain
    • Merchants guild missions which ask you to source X amount of a resource and then deliver them to a station are perfect for net worth gain - if you purchase all of the items needed for the sourcing you also gain net worth for those purchases. Some guild missions towards the end of the game will get you 100k+ credits for turning them in too which really closes that gap. The last mission i did for the trophy to pop was to deliver 22 Pure Water to Montana for 136k.
    • A note for these missions - they need a sizeable cargo hold - so you will need to invest in a chonky ship and some cargo extender modules. If you invest in the ship with the biggest cargo hold + biggest cargo extender you can run 3-4 source missions at once and turn yourself into an actual hauler.
    • Another note - before you do these runs - invest in the jump gate booster upgrade (costs 180k) as it will let you take the red routes that will damage your ship if you don't. Being able to take red routes really speeds up how you move around systems, especially with the merchants stuff.
  • Mercenary missions are okay for net worth gain but not the best
    • Mercenary missions can pay big, but are higher risk and can lead to costly ship repairs which decrease net worth. I didn't find this as lucrative as the merchants guild approach at all.
  • Losing at gambling decreases net worth
    • Be really careful with the gambling mini-games as if you are really into them and depending on the stakes you could easily decrease net worth quite a bit. I would even recommend leaving the Dice and Pool trophies until after you have Filthy Rich
  • Once you are in a good place with your ship and gear, be strategic with what you pick up and sell
    • Loot will appear frequently to tractor in, look at the average value of the items in your hold - anything below 1000k average worth can just stay floating in space. There are some items that will net you thousands in profit sometimes tens of thousands if you sell them to the right place. But that can sometimes require a long long trip across multiple systems, so even then, it's not really worth it at that stage.
Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1