Can't copy saves to USB (CE-3316-4)

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

So very ironically (was thinking about this just a day or two ago), I just hit the 1,000 save file cap today on PS+. So I plugged in my old 32gb USB stick to start backing up saves, and I was immediately met with issues. Just kept giving me "an error has occurred: CE-3316-4" (which I could find very little and mixed info on) when trying to view saves on the USB via the "delete" and "copy to system" options. The PS4 could detect it just fine though, it was showing under USB devices. Plugged it into my PC, seems I last backed up saves sometime in 2017, worked fine then, had about 11gb of saves backed up which showed up fine on PC.

I formatted it to exFAT via my PC (was originally FAT32), and all seemed fine at first. Plugged it back into my PS4 and started copying everything over, but about 10 minutes into copying, it randomly popped up with a notification saying the file system of the USB was not supported. Nothing else happened though, it continued copying so I let it do its thing. When it finally finished copying, I got a bunch of "cannot copy: CE-3316-4" errors. I went to view the contents on the stick, and it seemed it copied over about 600mb of my 19gb saves, pretty much all of my recent saves dating back to about August, then everything before then didn't copy. Tried copying everything over again, selected "no" for overwriting what was already on there, and got the same issue. It managed to copy over another 30mb and that was it.

I've tried unplugging my external HDD and using the stick, tried different USB ports, restarting the PS4, etc. but nothing seems to have helped. Looking into error CE-3316-4, it seems like it might be due to save corruption, but I know none of my saves are corrupt, and they back up fine to PS Plus. I've never gotten this error code before otherwise either, far as I remember. As I said, there seems to be very little info on this code, nothing on the official Playstation website, and I'm finding people that claim it has happened when downloading saves from PS+, when just trying to save in-game, and also when backing up to USB (my issue).

I have always had weird issues with USB sticks on PS4, different bands and everything. I've had the whole "file system is not supported" pop-up before as well, usually when initially plugging in the USB, but it's always still worked fine despite that, until now.... I've never had them just flat out not work and refuse to be read or copy over saves. Sadly, I don't have another spare USB stick to try right now, so I can't rule out the possibility that there's something wrong with the stick, but it was working fine for backing up saves 3 years ago and before (haven't touched it since), and still works fine on my PCs.

Anyone have any advice?

Not really.  You are doing everything that I do. I've had to move to my fifth USB over the years, either the console just doesn't like it after a while or who knows.  Another issue is it seems the port is a little worn - so when I have issues I wriggle the USB in the port, remove it, try again, repeat.  That seems to be fixing it half of the time.  Good luck.

• Like 3

Just now, Tesla_Rules said:

Not really.  You are doing everything that I do. I've had to move to my fifth USB over the years, either the console just doesn't like it after a while or who knows.  Another issue is it seems the port is a little worn - so when I have issues I wriggle the USB in the port, remove it, try again, repeat.  That seems to be fixing it half of the time.  Good luck.

I just tried restarting the PS4 with the USB still plugged in, it immediately came up with the "file system is not supported" notification, and now it shows the format as "unknown" with just a dash (-) for "used space". Unplugged it, plugged it in again, now says "cannot use this USB device" and shows the same thing under USB devices. The port is a little dusty (somehow, even though I've always had something plugged into it), so I blew some compressed air in and a little chunk of dust did fly out, but it's still just saying the USB can't be used and showing the format as unknown. Tried wriggling it about in the port and and unplugging it several times as well.

Still detects perfectly fine and works first try on my PCs, so I dunno. It's really annoying to say the least, I wouldn't even need to worry about this if it wasn't for the 1,000 file cap on PS+. I'll try a different USB stick when I can and hope that works.

I think I have had one USB stop working on my PS4 before, but pretty sure that was the stick itself, as I think it stopped detecting on PC as well.

Thanks for the reply, I just hope I have some way to back up my saves given I can't any more to PS+, and some way to get them back on the system again if I ever need to (hope I don't encounter an issue like with my current USB: e.g. it worked fine before for backing up, but can no longer be detected by the PS4 when trying to view those saves again)

2 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Thanks for the reply, I just hope I have some way to back up my saves given I can't any more to PS+, and some way to get them back on the system again if I ever need to (hope I don't encounter an issue like with my current USB: e.g. it worked fine before for backing up, but can no longer be detected by the PS4 when trying to view those saves again)

Good luck - sounds like you've really got a problem here.  I have the old launch PS4 and it refuses to do anything with the ports, so feel your pain.  On the bright side, Black Friday is coming up and that is when I stock up on CHEAP USBs from Best Buy.  Your other solution is to see if there is any way you can part with a few save files on  PS Plus. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tesla_Rules said:

Good luck - sounds like you've really got a problem here.  I have the old launch PS4 and it refuses to do anything with the ports, so feel your pain.  On the bright side, Black Friday is coming up and that is when I stock up on CHEAP USBs from Best Buy.  Your other solution is to see if there is any way you can part with a few save files on  PS Plus. 

Mine is a launch console as well. I haven't had many problems with the ports though, aside from my controller occasionally not charging when first plugging it in, not sure if that may just be the cable though (still using the cable that came with the system).

Good idea, was thinking of stocking up on PS+ membership as well on black Friday, I usually always do. There are some saves on PS Plus I could definitely part with, saves for demos and betas/alphas and a few games I no longer own, but they don't take up much at all, maybe about 50 files at most.

I've had to delete all the saves on my console once, last year, due to a profile/trophy corruption issue (NP-32091-5), but thankfully I could just back them all up to PS+ at the time and re-downloaded them. My main fear is if something similar ever happens again and any saves that have only been backed up to USB can never be restored. Realistically, I'm probably never going to replay a lot of my games anyway, but I do occasionally go back to them and would like to have the saves there if I do, especially if I'm going back to them to get the plat.

I've hit the cap on PS+ several times now, back when it was only like 1GB of storage, again a few times when it was 10GB, and now I've finally reached the 1,000 file limit cap on 100GB, I doubt I would ever actually fill up 100GB of save file storage otherwise if it wasn't for that fat. Still haven't filled up the storage on the PS+ storage for the PS3 or Vita either, all these years later.

Edit: After digging around some drawers, I found an old 32GB Sandisk USB stick. Plugged it into my PC and it was formatted as FAT32, so decided to format it to exFAT since I've had far less issues with that format on PS4. Plugged it into my PS4, detected it just fine, started copying everything over and thankfully there was no "the file system on the USB is not supported" pop-up while it was copying. The estimated copy speed also seemed a bit more consistent than the previous USB stick.

And, thankfully, everything copied over without a single issue. Hopefully this USB stick remains fine and the PS4 decides to not read it any more after a year or two like with my last one. Will definitely still be getting 2 or so more USB sticks later this month as backup though. I'll back up everything on this current USB to an external HDD just to be on the safe side, then hopefully I can copy those to yet another USB stick if I need to ever actually restore the saves, and fingers crossed that will work if that scenario ever occurs. Perhaps the PS5 might actually support USB sticks at that point and it won't be as finicky with them as the PS4 is.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1