Inconsistent Controls?

distressedjazz

I have been slowly chipping away at the climax battles for the past few days in this game and I am onto the ultimate battle ones, which personally I am finding the hardest of the bunch (can't even beat the first one), I have read basically everywhere that these are easy with tiger drop but I am finding that the controls are just inconsistent, two thirds of the time Kiryu just does a pitiful little kick and then gets comboed into oblivion and two ninths of the time Kiryu just doesn't even do anything and gets comboed into oblivion, and the one ninth of the time Kiryu actually decides to do the move that I input it doesn't even matter because the game is basically lost at that point. So is there any part of the tiger drop controls that I am missing or is it really that inconsistent? I am holding R1 and pressing triangle whenever the enemy attacks. Can anyone help with either the controls, timing on the tiger drop or just the ultimate climax battles? All tips are welcome because these boss rushes are driving me crazy.

My advice is to train in the coliseum before trying the ultimate battle. It's all about timing,

Pulling R1 + triangle when the opponent fist is about to hit your face, is 100% of the time tiger drop.

If you try the tiger drop right when the ennemy strike, then you'll most likely end up doing the weak kick.

Patience is key, and a bit of training too.