This game is a ton of fun for only $13.

iGGTheEnd

Decided to give this one a go because I love roguelites and it turned out it is a ton of fun.  Kind of feels like reverse Downwell with more rogue lite elements,  I haven't played a ton of it yet but from what I have played I definitely recommend it for the price.

• 2 years later...

For sure. As a big fan of Downwell myself, I picked this up on impulse for a mere $2.99, and didn't regret one second of my time with it. A surprisingly polished, thoroughly enjoyable metal-themed climb out of Hell that rarely frustrates, with a kick-ass soundtrack, albeit pretty skimpy on content and challenge for a roguelite. I spent a day when I had nothing better to do, powering through it in essentially one sitting, which took just under 9 hours.

Unlocking the demon Zelos character and the Cerberos relic (lightning) as soon as possible makes your Conquest runs much easier, although the Gauntlet challenges are probably the toughest aspect of the game, particularly Deathrush mode. The one forcing you to fight Beelzebub at the end required more attempts than anything else, but I really just needed more practice on that boss, I think. Besides Zelos (and Arok, on occasion), I didn't find the other characters to be especially worth using.

Those Hellrisen climbing stages are actually quite useful as an experience grind, to level up quickly and unlock more stuff, though. It's a simple method: play as Arok, hold left, and mash the jump button until you brute force your way to the top. While you'll still randomly die sometimes, it usually works out due to invincibility frames, earning you some decent XP in around 30 seconds per climb. Using a rapid fire controller makes this process far gentler on the hands, of course. I learned about it in zeith's tips here, so full credit to them.

Man, I'd love to see a more substantial sequel or similar game from this clearly talented developer!

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 1