Getting the random drop items

Having just finished the 100% for this game, I got somewhat frustrated on a finding a few of the treasures, specifically the ones that are 'random' drops.  When trying to work towards the Scavenger trophy, there are several items that are considered 'random' drops from the boss type mobs.  These items include drops from the Displacer Beast, Beholder, Manticore, Red/Black/Green Dragons.  I fought the Red Dragon like 20 times trying to get the dragon horn to drop and never saw it.  Then I ran into this tip somewhere else and it all became very easy.

When trying to get the random drops, like Horn of the Dragon, use the Fighter class and attack with his Desperate Attack ability (X+O buttons together).  Doing this only a few times typically causes the random item to drop just about every time.

Another tip that helped out while collecting treasures, is that after you pick up the treasure you are after, you can immediately die, spam the circle button to quickly run down the Continue timer and let the game end.  You do not need to finish the level to get the treasure to 'save'.  Dying is sufficient.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

These are just some tips for some of the treasures I found difficult.

Ring of Spell Turning- I couldn't find the ring with the method the guide describes.  You can get this item by naming your character "5".  Your name will be type F and the ring will be in your inventory in the next stage.

Dragon Scales and Dragon Shield - I couldn't find the black dragon my first few attempts in the labyrinth.  In the beginning of each screen there is a kobold that will break a signpost and then run down a path.  If you follow the kobold down the path they take it is the "wrong path."  Follow them 4 times you will encounter the black dragon.   

Lightning Scroll (Tower of Doom) - Pick the elf and start the second to last stage.  You will be in the sable tower.  The first encounter is two hellhounds and one knoll with a bow.  Use cloud kill to quickly kill them all.  If the scroll doesn't drop restart the chapter and repeat until you get it.  I think this is the only scroll without a fixed drop from a chest.  It took me about 2 hours to find this last item and the above method was the quickest way to grind out kills for the hellhounds.  

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, snarker-1995 said:

Any idea where to find a Ring Of Invisibility and with what character if that matters in SOM? Been grinding Ezerhorden and the Gargoyles in the final chapter with Magic User and i've gotten several of every other ring except that one.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/xbox360/708535-dungeons-and-dragons-chronicles-of-mystara/answers/353901-where-can-i-find-ring-of-invisibility