VA-11 Hall-A and 2064: Which to Play First - Lore?

Hi everyone,

I now have both these games. Bought VA-11 Hall-A for Vita during the "Sony are bastards" store closure saga and just picked up 2064 in the latest sale (very happy about that btw!). I haven't played either yet.

So my question is, from a lore/enjoyment perspective, which would be best to play first? I assume 2064 but just wanted to check.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

11 minutes ago, kanzenchaos said:

Are they related at all? Pretty sure they aren't since they're from different devs/publishers.

They're technically set in the same universe (but several years apart or something), but yeah, they're completely different devs, and you can definitely play either one irrespective of the other.

To OP, it doesn't really matter which one you play first, they're about as related to each other as Final Fantasy is to the SaGa or Mana series (perhaps even less so). There's a few minor references to 2064 in VA-11 Hall-A, so you may wanna play 2064 first, but that's really about it.

Slight spoiler:

Spoiler

From what I remember, I think a character from 2064 shows up in VA-11 Hall-A. I think that's about it though.

I personally played 2064 first, just because I got it first. VA-11 Hall-A is the much better game though, imo.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, kanzenchaos said:

Are they related at all? Pretty sure they aren't since they're from different devs/publishers.

They 100% are. 

https://va11halla.fandom.com/wiki/Category:People_in_2064:_Read_Only_Memories

These people appear in VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action as cameos from the game 2064: Read Only Memories. The VA-11 Hall-A and 2064: ROM games are said to exist in the same universe, and the events of ROM occur roughly 7-10 years before the events of VA-11 Hall-A. To get these characters to appear at the bar, the player must serve a Flaming Moai to certain customers.

Also:

https://wearemidboss.tumblr.com/post/158251681009/can-it-be-officially-said-that-valhalla-and-rom

huckleberry-saxophone asked: Can it be officially said that Valhalla and ROM take place in the same timeline?

It can! They exist in the same universe, but different cities and different times. The events of 2064 take place 10 years before VA-11 Hall-A starts, and is in Neo-SF, while VA-11 Hall-A is in a different city, the fictional “Glitch City,” location unknown. So yeah, same universe, different time and city.

Midboss made 2064.

9 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I personally played 2064 first, just because I got it first. VA-11 Hall-A is the much better game though, imo.

Hey smexy, hope life is treating you well. If you were me, which would you play first? Or does it not really matter?

Thanks.

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

Hey smexy, hope life is treating you well. If you were me, which would you play first? Or does it not really matter?

Thanks.

I'm doing alright, hopefully life is treating you well as well.

I'd probably play 2064 first just for the sake of the references in VA-11 Hall-A, but I honestly had no idea the games were connected before I played VA-11 Hall-A anyway. You could definitely play VA-11 Hall-A first, then play 2064 and understand the little references after the fact. They're very minor anyway from what I remember.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I'm doing alright, hopefully life is treating you well as well.

I'd probably play 2064 first just for the sake of the references in VA-11 Hall-A, but I honestly had no idea the games were connected before I played VA-11 Hall-A anyway. You could definitely play VA-11 Hall-A first, then play 2064 and understand the little references after the fact. They're very minor anyway from what I remember.

Thanks mate. I will play 2064 first. Have a good weekend. ?

• Like 1