Region Info on Trophy Lists

Elliot

We have some nice metadata on games already in the Games section - take for example Resistance 2 which has the developer, publishers, release date, genres and themes. Lovely. It strikes me that a useful addition to this information is something akin to the information provided by this thread, which is pretty much the only reason I ever find to visit the .org forums. If we were to tag games' trophy lists with region information, then it'd help people who want to stack multiple lists such as the EU and NA Singstar XMB lists the 3 Demon's Souls lists, etc, etc, by telling them which trophy list corresponds to which region, so they know where to get their games from. Given that our database lists every game with trophies, and the .org list is quite often out of date, this will allow us to build up a really nice database for multi-region hunters that integrates nicely with what we already have.

(And Sly, if you want to give me access, I'll happily fill the infomation in for this stuff, including the other metadata for newer games.)

• Like 3

IIRC the metadata for games are acquired atomatically.

Though a visible region indicator would be very helpful like a (NA), (EU) or (JP) next to the game's title or something like that.

If it is automatically acquired, then it's odd that only some games have it, and others don't. I also wonder what the source of the info is in that case...

So many questions! But yes, glad you agree that a visible region indicator would be helpful. I suppose it could go in the game's title too, that's also a sensible place to put it, but I kind of wonder what you'd do with cases where the two regions for lists are US / All Other, what would you label the All Other with? At least you can be more verbose and therefore explicit in the metadata table.

Well that's simple.

Let's say there are only 2 regions.

1-Game (NA)

2-Game

leaving it without anything it means there are no explicit regions associated to that specific trophy list  :dunno:

Oh, and by the way, maybe a UK region exists too. I know it exists for content, but I'm not so sure about trophy lists.

If it is automatically acquired, then it's odd that only some games have it, and others don't. I also wonder what the source of the info is in that case...

So many questions! But yes, glad you agree that a visible region indicator would be helpful. I suppose it could go in the game's title too, that's also a sensible place to put it, but I kind of wonder what you'd do with cases where the two regions for lists are US / All Other, what would you label the All Other with? At least you can be more verbose and therefore explicit in the metadata table.

It was automatic, it's turned off though since in a lot of cases the info is wrong.

It was automatic, it's turned off though since in a lot of cases the info is wrong.

That being said, can now you please answer the thread's original question, o great lord Sly? :) Region info would be super useful, and assuming that there's some way of editing things I'm happy to do the lifting.

Well that's simple.

Let's say there are only 2 regions.

1-Game (NA)

2-Game

leaving it without anything it means there are no explicit regions associated to that specific trophy list  :dunno:

Oh, and by the way, maybe a UK region exists too. I know it exists for content, but I'm not so sure about trophy lists.

But it doesn't exclude NA, which means that if someone only sees that list, they won't know that it doesn't include that region, so if you're just browsing through someone's trophies rather than looking for specifically that game it doesn't provide you with any useful info.

• Like 1

Well then the only option is to put a label anyway.

So in my previous example, you'd need to look into where the game with the second list is being physically released and flag it accordingly. So, it could become:

1-Game (NA)

2-Game (EU)

in cases where the is only a single trophy list you could go with

-Region Free (RF)

-No Region (NR)

or nothing at all, because if the site conventionally uses a label for all games with more than one list, you'd automatically know that a game without label has a single trophy list across all regions and versions.