NES remix features 1-1 from SMB1 as a challenge, complete with arrow to go right

Lady Lilith

http://kotaku.com/least-necessary-arrow-in-video-game-history-1486575602

ku-xlarge.gif1

Look, some of us out there aren't super-awesome at Super Mario Bros., but this blinking arrow in Nintendo's new NES Remix game for Wii U is a bit much. P

The game chops and/or mods classic 8-bit games to give players short challenges. This one is, basically, to run through the first level of Super Mario Bros. P

Which way should you run????P

RELATED
k-small.gif
If Super Mario Bros. Was Made in 2010

Using eight images, game designer Zack Hiwiller shows us what Super Mario Bros. might look like, if it was made with modern sensibilities. Read…

Please, Nintendo, do not go any further down this path.

Peach_Facepalm_by_Finalsmasher.jpg

I'm embarrassed for today's gamers.  Of course, it probably isn't as bad as it sounds, I don't know if I could beat 1-1 my first time through SMB1 (although I was like 4)

Edited by Sonic

Blame the crappy games of this gen, especially Wii games and shooters and some crappy games that tried too hard to NOT be hard (DmC for an example).

Games used to offer a challenge at the cost of time. The more time you spent, the more you learned. The more you learned the less you died.

The perfect example of this is Castelvania, Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon in the NES. I was lucky enough to grow up playing them. Granted battletoads is nearly impossible to beat. (Seriously).

Help is a good thing, especially on 3D games. But some games either dumbdown the gameplay or they just give you too much power by helping you too much and then there are the games that walk you through the whole thing never once giving you options, and even if they do they don't change a thing.

My most recent example is Dante's Inferno. Amazing game, I love it. Great story and great source material with all of their myths (Giants and all from greek mythology). But, no matter what difficulty you play, if you rush Holy to level 5 (which can be done by the time you're around the 3rd or 4th circle) you can buy the Holy Armor lvl 3. And then you also gain access to the relic that gives you mp (which requires holy lvl 5 to equip to later level up, see the connection here?). 
Holy Armor negates all damage and you have mp regeneration. It just breaks the game flow.

Even as a GoW copy, it has nowhere near the same challenge as GoW. I remember that if you screw up your weapon levels in GoW2, in Titan difficulty you might as well restart. It's that challenging and you have to be very strict with what you buy.

Sorry for the long post, but I just hate, hate these games that require no challenge or patience to beat. And then we (The ones who want a nice challenge for their 60$) don't get what we expect because it had to be watered down just to fit this new gen of people. That's the reason why I love Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising. You NEED to have patience for those games, so you can learn what to do, and from it you get better.

But, that's just me, I'm accustomed to getting a challenge from my games.