'Akira' live action film

d3m0nd00d

This is one of the first anime movies I saw and the idea of a live version is very exciting. It seems they are trying to get big name actors for the major roles. They also stated that this is going to be a westernized version of the movie.

The major actor thing is always a plus for any movie, but a western version of the movie kinda scares me. :( Guess I'll have to wait until more info surfaces.

Here is the news snippet that started this post:

'Akira' Seeks Gary Oldman, Keira Knightly

oldman.jpg

With "The Dark Knight Rises" currently filming and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" poised to bring awards attention, Gary Oldman's stock is on the rise at age 53, and now Deadline Hollywood is reporting that he is wanted for two more high-profile roles.

According to reports, Warner Bros., the studio behind the next Batman film, are after Oldman to join the live-action adaptation of Katsuhiro Ohtomo's "Akira," as the Colonel.

Reports from earlier in the week confirmed that "Tron: Legacy" star Garrett Hedlund was in talks to star as Kaneda in the film version directed by Jaume Collet-Serra. Deadline states that Oldman is Warner Bros.'s number one choice for the role. It was also rumored earlier this week that Oldman's "Harry Potter" co-star, Helena Bonham Carter, was approached for the role of Lady Miyako, and additionally, the Hollywood Reporter mentioned that Keira Knightley was also offered a role.

If that wasn't enough, Warner Bros. is also supposedly seeking Oldman for the iconic role of Merlin in the upcoming medieval project "Arthur & Lancelot" from writer-director David Dobkin. Neither of the title's stars have been set (though Joel Kinnaman is reportedly in talks to play Lancelot), but Oldman would definitely add some credit to the in-development film.

With two projects of this caliber seeking Oldman specifically, could we be seeing the well-deserved rising of a star? Oldman has always been praised for his often dark work, but has stayed in the shadows of minor roles of bigger movies and only stepping out to star in smaller, less commercial films. If many of the current Oscar forecasts end up coming true, we could see Oldman receive his first nomination in the coming months. It's hard to believe that someone who has created some of the most memorable characters in all of cinema has never even been given the nod.

http://splashpage.mt...eira-knightley/

If this is good, the only way I'd watch it is if it were dubbed. So the westernization is welcomed by me. :)

To be honest with you I watched the anime version such a long time ago that I can't remember if it was dubbed or not. God I'm getting old. :(

BTW love your new avatar Dreakon139. :) I have a link to the manga version of 'The walking dead' if you want to read ahead or want to experience the original. Give me a shout if your interested and I'll send it to you.