Can I play one game on both PS4 and PS5 at the same time?

Exovector

Hey there

Sorry if this has already been answered - I searched but didn't turn up anything. 

Our household has both a PS4 and a PS5 as well as a valid PS+ subscription (registered to my account). I'd like to be able to play multiplayer games with my other half, specifically co-op stuff like The Division.

Question is, is that possible with one PS+ sub and one (digital) copy of the game in question? Or would we need two PS+ accounts, and separate copies of each game?

We did try playing Black Ops: Cold War together, but ran into issues. The game booted fine on the PS5 using my partner's account, but refused to log me in on the PS4. I don't know if that's specific to that game, whether we haven't set things up in the right way, or if it's just not possible.

If anyone has any experience of doing this (even on two PS4s with the same account setup) I'd be super grateful for some advice please. I don't want to go buy a bunch of co-op games to find out that we can only run them on one machine at a time.

Thanks!

Mrs Bee and I have been doing this for a while.  Initially with 2 ps4's and now with a ps5 and a ps4.

You need to have the system you want your other half to play on to be registered as the main system for the account that has the ps+ account.  Then they can sign into their own account, and will still have access to all your purchased games, and access to play online.  Once you do that, you should have no issues playing together, unless certain specific games will cause you trouble.

EDIT: I do know that some games (FF XIV for example) will cause problems because they tie a copy of the game to an account, but from our experience that seems to be rare.  1 copy and 1 ps+ sub should work in most cases.

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 1