Skyrim Will Feature Infinite Quests

TranceVance

If you like getting bang for your buck, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will give you a nuclear blast.

You’ll never have to stop questing in the upcoming open-world role-playing game, to be released November 11 for Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 3. Skyrim director Todd Howard told Wired.com in a phone interview Monday that the game will feature a never-ending stream of procedurally generated content, giving players an infinite number of things to do.

“The vibe of the game is that it’s something that you can play forever,” Howard said.

The game’s Radiant quest system randomly generates new tasks based on your progress in the game. An innkeeper might ask you to hunt for bandits in a place you haven’t found yet, or an aspiring alchemist could request that you collect 10 undiscovered flowers for his work. Howard claims that the options are endless.

In addition to these minor tasks, Howard says you’ll be able to do extra work for each of the game’s factions, like the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild. Once you complete the scripted quest lines for each group, you can go to their respective hubs and pick up randomly generated missions to steal gems or assassinate shopkeepers across Skyrim’s massive world.

Though some players might not love the idea of endlessly collecting groups of random ingredients, Howard says that Radiant quests play into one of the game’s major strengths: environmental storytelling. Skyrim’s world is sprinkled with secrets and minor bits of narrative that you’ll have to piece together as you explore, an aspect of game design that Howard says the team picked up while working on their last game, Fallout 3.

“With Fallout, it’s not as beautiful a world to everybody,” he said. “We had to find ways to make exploration of [a destroyed wasteland] interesting.”

For Skyrim, Howard says that Bethesda has learned a few new tricks and gotten better at the old ones. The most enjoyable part of the Radiant system won’t be completing quests, he says, it’ll be the things you discover along the way: bandit-infested fortresses, or a terrifying lighthouse.

“The world is probably the one thing that sets [skyrim] apart from other games,” he said. “It feels really real for what it is … It’s just fun to explore.”

wow... thats just... wow... they will most likely need to raise the level cap already, lol...

although, if you think about it, some of those little fetch quests or kill quests get stupid after you've done 100 of them... "go kill 20 chickens and report back to me with the meat so i can make chicken soup" type of quests, lol... or... "go kill all the rats in that cave over there so their flees don't inflict us with a plague"... or... "i need 10 apples for this apple pie"...

those are all fun but once you bang out about 20 or 30 of them your ready to punch a kitten

• Like 1

wow... thats just... wow... they will most likely need to raise the level cap already, lol...

although, if you think about it, some of those little fetch quests or kill quests get stupid after you've done 100 of them... "go kill 20 chickens and report back to me with the meat so i can make chicken soup" type of quests, lol... or... "go kill all the rats in that cave over there so their flees don't inflict us with a plague"... or... "i need 10 apples for this apple pie"...

those are all fun but once you bang out about 20 or 30 of them your ready to punch a kitten

Lol, very true. I can see this as only being annoying. Although if there is something you missed in the game and this allows you another opportunity to go back and complete or obtain something, then I like that.

Lol, very true. I can see this as only being annoying. Although if there is something you missed in the game and this allows you another opportunity to go back and complete or obtain something, then I like that.

For sure... Im not dissing on the game by any means... I in fact don't mind the mindless quests but you gotta spread them out... you gotta have a balance for sure... If anyone played Sacred 2 you know what i mean... i got to the point where i wasn't even listening to the NPC... i would just go to the quest marker, lol... but after 400 quests like that you start to tune it out :)

This game is going to be epic and the bottom line is that im excited for Friday to come around

Hopefully not just fetch quests and such, Fable 3 had a similar thing but that was for relationship quests, that was annoying, hopefully they will be varied and maybe we could have quest for certain times of the year, Easter, Valentine, Halloween and so on

I really dont think developers change their games to reflect the time of year, i mean that looks cool if it comes to christmas and the game im gonna play is christmasy lol