Alternate Level Skip (Discovered By Me To The Best Of My Knowledge) For The VR Version

MrTacoNinja

If you're following any of the speedrun videos for this game you'll notice quite often that they do this trick called rocket jumping. I'd imagine quite a bit of people are familiar with this trick but to those that aren't it's a trick used all the time in Doom and Quake games with a rocket launcher (pointed out by Messknecht in this thread): https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/122353-how-do-you-rocket-jump/#comment-2506661. Essentially what it does is allow you to jump higher by jumping and shooting a rocket at your feet almost simultaneously. The blast radius from the rocket propels you higher if timed correctly. I don't know about the other console versions but in the PSVR version there's just no way to rocket jump. The developers might've patched it (https://sharehub.pro/forum/main/discussion/101474-why_was_the_rocketjump_feature_removed_doom_3/)???  :hmm:

From the countless times I've watched speedrunners display this trick in their speedrun videos (even slowing the playback speed to a crawl so I can really study everything they do) to talking to two speedrunners through the comments section on YouTube asking for their guidance, I find it impossible that I haven't been able to do it successfully just ONE time out of the gazillion times and hours spent trying. I'm of firm belief that you just cannot do it in the PSVR version. Anyway, in the video below and at 39:34 in the video you'll come to a part in Delta Labs Sector 2a where you'll meet up with a scientist (it's unmissable and damn near at the beginning of the level). When he skips the cutscene (because he's running some sort of program on his computer that allows him to skip all of the unskippable cutscenes in the game) he's going to turn left and rocket jump himself up into a corner next to a door. There's a hidden level trigger here (why is beyond me) that ends the level and places him at the beginning of Delta Labs Sector 2b, thus skipping the entirety of the previous level (huuuge time saver).

But how is it even possible to do in the VR version if you can't rocket jump, you wonder? Slow the video down and pay close attention to when he skips the cutscene and turns left. Do you see that portable stand slightly off to the right? Push that stand (by walking into it) down the stairs and into the corner. Once there simply jump on to the stand and jump up... bam! Done! That simple. I can confirm 1,000,000% that it works.

As the title says, to the best of my knowledge I'm the one who discovered this alternate shortcut to how the speedrunners do it as I've watched TONS of these Doom 3 speedrun videos and read TONS of comments throughout the internet and never once was it visually displayed nor mentioned. Therefore I'm taking full credit for this unless proven otherwise. 

-MISSABLE WARNING-

Do note that you'll miss out on the missable trophy Ready for Action! (acquiring the BFG) and all of the collectibles if you do this level skip.

Edited by MrTacoNinja