How Do You Rocket Jump???

MrTacoNinja

Rocketjump is an old Doom/Quake thing. Historical it was a bug in Quake 1 the players exploited  to get to high "unreachable" places similar to the strafe jump to gain speed. since players used rocketjumps like an intended game function in multiplayergames, id software never patched it, but implemented it in every sequel of  Doom and Quake title they released. 

basically you shoot a rocket straight into ground and jump at the same time that should push you high into the air to reach higher ground. you will get (reduced) damage but also the benefit of a higher jump, if done right.

timing is crucial or you will rest in pieces. 

Edited by Messknecht

29 minutes ago, Messknecht said:

Rocketjump is an old Doom/Quake thing. Historical it was a bug in Quake 1 the players exploited  to get to high "unreachable" places similar to the strafe jump to gain speed. since players used rocketjumps like an intended game function in multiplayergames, id software never patched it, but implemented it in every sequel of  Doom and Quake title they released. 

basically you shoot a rocket straight into ground and jump at the same time that should push you high into the air to reach higher ground. you will get (reduced) damage but also the benefit of a higher jump, if done right.

timing is crucial or you will rest on pieces. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've been trying to jump/shoot for hours now but I'm getting nowhere. Do I have to jump at the same time I pull the trigger or do I have to time it to jump at the exact moment the rocket's hitting the ground and exploding?

you use the rocket explosion radius to propel yourself.

theory: you have to shoot, let the rocket hit the ground to explode then jump. 

practice: that should happen pretty much at the same time, but yes, you have to shoot before you jump. 

Edited by Messknecht

42 minutes ago, Messknecht said:

you use the rocket explosion radius to propel yourself.

theory: you have to shoot, let the rocket hit the ground to explode then jump. 

practice: that should happen pretty much at the same time, but yes, you have to shoot before you jump. 

So maybe that's been my problem? I'm jumping as I pull the trigger. Pull the trigger... wait maybe half a second... jump. I'll try more tomorrow. I've stopped for the night.

Does it matter that I'm playing the VR version?

Edited by MrTacoNinja

10 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Does it matter that I'm playing the VR version?

I haven't played the vr version yet, but i doubt this would be an issue. it's the same principle in every doom/quake and just practice, once you know how to do it its an automatism, but getting there is trial and error. 

22 minutes ago, Messknecht said:

I haven't played the vr version yet, but i doubt this would be an issue. it's the same principle in every doom/quake and just practice, once you know how to do it its an automatism, but getting there is trial and error. 

Thanks so much for replying. I'll give it a go later and just practice, practice, practice. If anyone else has any input on performing this frustrating exploit by all means post to share.

9 hours ago, Messknecht said:

This "rocket jump" isn't working no matter what I do. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.