corrupt save file just after final Trophy

Sauron-The-Great

hi, 

Im rather new to this website and the forum, so Im hoping that this is the right place to post my question. ?

Since this morning I have a corrupt save file on my PS3. 

Yesterday Ive had 3 freezes ? on 2 different games (hard copies). 

Luckily, I unlocked every Trophy yesterday except a single one, that didnt require any progress in the story. 

I got the platinum today so I wont die if I have to delete the file.

But, 

Should I be looking for a new hard drive?

I have it running on an 240GB SSD.

I noticed that I only had 39Gb free space, so Ive cleaned it up to 47GB free space.

I tried restoring the file system from Safe mode, repeatedly. Without effect.

The file cannot be copied onto an USB.

DSC-0405.jpg

IMG-20220307-175405.jpg

IMG-20220307-175448.jpg

Edited by Sauron-The-Great

Console crashing/freezing in multiple times in different games within a short time period can be 2 things:

A. GPU/CPU dying, which cause random freezing and/or graphical artifacts on screen. Unfortunately there is no way to know what is what without getting a proper error code from the machine and I believe that requires opening it up.

B. A corrupted filesystem or game file installation or save file. The last is easy to fix, just delete the installation/save file and reinstall it back (Or in case of the save file, restore it back using a backup provided you have one). A corrupted filesystem can be fixed through PS3 Recovery Menu but it's not guaranteed and it may actually get stuck in "file system storage is corrupted and will be restored" message loop which is only fixable by formatting the entire HDD (Wipes out all data) through PS3 Recovery Menu.

Now let's get to the solution based on your screenshots: The save file you showed is gone, you can't fix it so just delete it. Also delete and then reinstall those 2 games that froze your console, see if that helps preventing console crashes/freezes. Hopefully your filesystem is still in good shape and that's you're gonna need to keep playing in your ps3 without needing to format the HDD.

By the way, which model you're playing on, just to know if hardware failure (the option A above) is a possibility or not.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

Console crashing/freezing in multiple times in different games within a short time period can be 2 things:

A. GPU/CPU dying, which cause random freezing and/or graphical artifacts on screen. Unfortunately there is no way to know what is what without getting a proper error code from the machine and I believe that requires opening it up.

B. A corrupted filesystem or game file installation or save file. The last is easy to fix, just delete the installation/save file and reinstall it back (Or in case of the save file, restore it back using a backup provided you have one). A corrupted filesystem can be fixed through PS3 Recovery Menu but it's not guaranteed and it may actually get stuck in "file system storage is corrupted and will be restored" message loop which is only fixable by formatting the entire HDD (Wipes out all data) through PS3 Recovery Menu.

Now let's get to the solution based on your screenshots: The save file you showed is gone, you can't fix it so just delete it. Also delete and then reinstall those 2 games that froze your console, see if that helps preventing console crashes/freezes. Hopefully your filesystem is still in good shape and that's you're gonna need to keep playing in your ps3 without needing to format the HDD.

By the way, which model you're playing on, just to know if hardware failure (the option A above) is a possibility or not.

Thanks for this.

I never experienced graphical artifacts.

It's a PS3 Slim. Reinstalling COD Black Ops II would be a huge task, since there are a ton of updates and also 4 large DLC packages.  

I'll delete the file and see if I can restore the system for starters.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sauron-The-Great said:

Thanks for this.

I never experienced graphical artifacts.

It's a PS3 Slim. Reinstalling COD Black Ops II would be a huge task, since there are a ton of updates and also 4 large DLC packages.  

I'll delete the file and see if I can restore the system for starters.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. You saying 3 different games made me dismiss it, but if one of them is BO2 the most likely issue is the PSN glitch that plagues that game.

Basically, you need to disconnect from PSN before loading the game, load into zombies or multiplayer and go into a custom match, run around for a minute, login to PSN, back out of the custom match and you can play zombies or multiplayer. just don't try swapping between them. If you don't do those steps you'll have a 100% freeze and very likely corruption issues, not just to the game's files but to your whole drive.

If the issues persists when you are completely disconnected from PSN/internet I'd bet it's your drive.

Please keep me informed.

• Like 1

So I was going to delete that corrupt file and then restore the file system once more.

But in the meanwhile, I discovered that restoring the file system repetetively, can cause the restoring to loop. 

At the moment I can still enjoy every single save / game I own, so Ive come up with a different plan.

I ordered a sata to USB and a new SSD, and tomorrow Ill try to clone the disc before trying to restore it/rebuild the databases, repair the broken sectors etc.

I also noticed that some save files are greyed out when I sellect copy multiple, so Im unable to back them up.

Will these files work after on a different disc via cloning I wonder... They still work on current SSD though.

This got me worrying that it might be the SSD indeed. It'll be 3 years old coming May... Doesnt seem that old?

Another thing, I changed my username to login on my PS3 system (after you boot)

and I was wondering if this is causing the saves to turn grey and how to fix that.

20 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. You saying 3 different games made me dismiss it, but if one of them is BO2 the most likely issue is the PSN glitch that plagues that game.

Basically, you need to disconnect from PSN before loading the game, load into zombies or multiplayer and go into a custom match, run around for a minute, login to PSN, back out of the custom match and you can play zombies or multiplayer. just don't try swapping between them. If you don't do those steps you'll have a 100% freeze and very likely corruption issues, not just to the game's files but to your whole drive.

If the issues persists when you are completely disconnected from PSN/internet I'd bet it's your drive.

Please keep me informed.

I appreciate your input, but

Actually I only mentioned two games

Ok when I'll play black Ops II from now on, I'll definitely try that to be sure. 

Were running tower of Babble on that one and I ruined it last time with that freeze. Ive had freezes on Black Ops II since forever though. One time I was at round 95 on mob of the dead, just froze ?

On 8-3-2022 at 3:56 AM, Otonio_Bruno said:

so I got my new hard drive. Turns out it wasnt necessary. Deleted the file, restored system, still corrupted file system. Too the hard drive out, scanned it for bad sectors. 0 bad sectors. Will start using the new drive anyway and restore using backup utility. The 'grey' saves were only protected saves of course.

Thanks for the help

So I want to start using my new 500Gb SSD. 

But every time I try to update using the file PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP my PS3 says the file is corrupted and I have to restart. The USB is FAT32 formatted and the patch file 4.88 is OFW.

I searched the web and there is a 4.87 OFW file on PSHAX.com that supposedly would fix this error, but I haven't been able to download it yet as it's a members only.

Can someone help me here?

Edit: I downloaded the 4.87 OFW file and it's not recognised as usable update date.

update

On 9-3-2022 at 4:25 AM, OmegaRejectz said:

Please keep me informed.

On 8-3-2022 at 3:56 AM, Otonio_Bruno said:

I had no more freezes. But to be honest, I didn't play any of those games anymore.

Ive deleted the corrupted file, I deleted both Black Ops and Call of Juarez. But I have not yet reinstalled them.

I ran the file system recovery from safe mode. It still says file system corrupted. 

I also have a different problem.

I want to upgrade my SSD, but it's not going as expected.

The update file is not recognised/ PS3 says the file is corrupted.

Update:

I was able to update using the update file found on PSHAX website:

https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps3-system-software-4-88-update-live-dont-update-your-firmware.9926/

Whereas using officially downloaded FW it would NOT update!

Currently Im restoring the backup ((that still contains my possibly corrupted Black ops II / Call of Juarez / system file???))

So could it be that Im still gonna have corrupted files after restoring a backup to a new HDD?

Just to be Sure I'll delete my Call of Juarez files, and also I'll reinstall COD Black Ops II.

What do you guys think? Was it a bad move to create a backup before reinstalling those games?

Wouldn't a restored backup copy the exact same corrupted files onto my new hard drive?

Sorry for the long-time delay on answering your posts @Sauron-The-Great. I'll quote/answer what I'm knowledgeable with, so not everything you asked will be covered.

On 09/03/2022 at 8:57 PM, Sauron-The-Great said:

So I was going to delete that corrupt file and then restore the file system once more.

But in the meanwhile, I discovered that restoring the file system repetetively, can cause the restoring to loop. 

At the moment I can still enjoy every single save / game I own, so Ive come up with a different plan.

Yes, the restore file system option in the PS3 safe menu can indeed cause a loop if performed repetitively, but it's good that you're able to keep playing and using the game saves in this SSD.

I ordered a sata to USB and a new SSD, and tomorrow Ill try to clone the disc before trying to restore it/rebuild the databases, repair the broken sectors etc.

I also noticed that some save files are greyed out when I sellect copy multiple, so Im unable to back them up.

Will these files work after on a different disc via cloning I wonder... They still work on current SSD though.

This got me worrying that it might be the SSD indeed. It'll be 3 years old coming May... Doesnt seem that old?

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to clone a ps3 hard-drive/SSD using a computer and then use the cloned drive on the ps3 while mantaining all the data stored on it. I know that any drive inserted into a ps3 is formatted and then encrypted to be used only with that ps3 unit, probably the system creates an unique encrypted key that can only be matched with the another paired key that is stored in the drive itself and if you happen to insert that drive in another unit, it will not match those encrypted keys and thus will be asked to be formatted in order to be used. If cloning the drive using the computer clones all the data, even this kind of encryption data, then maybe it's possible to use cloned drives on a ps3 without problems, but that's a huge IF.

As for greyed out save files when copying that's because they're copy-protected and can only be copied to PS Plus Cloud Storage and even to PS Plus Cloud Storage they must be copied one at a time (Can't select multiple of them at once). I believe you talk about this in a later post.

3 years old definitely is not old for a SSD. Hard-disc drives, which are much more prone to failures are expected to live at least 5 years, so 3 years for a SSD sounds like it's pretty new to me.

Another thing, I changed my username to login on my PS3 system (after you boot)

and I was wondering if this is causing the saves to turn grey and how to fix that.

Do you mean just changing the user name of the local profile on your ps3? If so, it shouldn't cause any issues with saves as long it's connected to a PSN account, since the local profile can be anything once it's attached to a PSN, the save files are tied to your PSN ID, not the local profile.

On 11/03/2022 at 0:52 PM, Sauron-The-Great said:

so I got my new hard drive. Turns out it wasnt necessary. Deleted the file, restored system, still corrupted file system. Too the hard drive out, scanned it for bad sectors. 0 bad sectors. Will start using the new drive anyway and restore using backup utility. The 'grey' saves were only protected saves of course.

Thanks for the help

Playstation 3 drive system is very wacky and even if the drive itself shows with 0 problems when scanned on a PC, it can and will say that it's corrupted every time you tried to restore the file system (It's a poor wording Sony used on ps3 software). But if drive itself can complete the entire file restore system (i.e it doesn't throw any errors like it couldn't be fixed) then it's all good on that drive. Also, it's good that you managed to use the backup utility and use the new drive to pass the files into it, I had very bad experience using the backup utility feature myself.

On 15/03/2022 at 1:15 PM, Sauron-The-Great said:

So I want to start using my new 500Gb SSD. 

But every time I try to update using the file PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP my PS3 says the file is corrupted and I have to restart. The USB is FAT32 formatted and the patch file 4.88 is OFW.

I searched the web and there is a 4.87 OFW file on PSHAX.com that supposedly would fix this error, but I haven't been able to download it yet as it's a members only.

Can someone help me here?

Edit: I downloaded the 4.87 OFW file and it's not recognised as usable update date.

On 15/03/2022 at 1:59 PM, Sauron-The-Great said:

I had no more freezes. But to be honest, I didn't play any of those games anymore.

Ive deleted the corrupted file, I deleted both Black Ops and Call of Juarez. But I have not yet reinstalled them.

I ran the file system recovery from safe mode. It still says file system corrupted. 

I also have a different problem.

I want to upgrade my SSD, but it's not going as expected.

The update file is not recognised/ PS3 says the file is corrupted.

On 15/03/2022 at 2:44 PM, Sauron-The-Great said:

Update:

I was able to update using the update file found on PSHAX website:

https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps3-system-software-4-88-update-live-dont-update-your-firmware.9926/

Whereas using officially downloaded FW it would NOT update!

Currently Im restoring the backup ((that still contains my possibly corrupted Black ops II / Call of Juarez / system file???))

So could it be that Im still gonna have corrupted files after restoring a backup to a new HDD?

Just to be Sure I'll delete my Call of Juarez files, and also I'll reinstall COD Black Ops II.

What do you guys think? Was it a bad move to create a backup before reinstalling those games?

Wouldn't a restored backup copy the exact same corrupted files onto my new hard drive?

Put all those 3 posts together since they pretty much talk about the same issues.

I'm not sure why an official firmware update is being recognized as corrupted. I wouldn't usually trust hacking-scene sites to download OFW but sometimes that's the only option when you can't find anywhere else. About system file being corrupted, I already addressed that in above paragraph, it's a poor wording choice on the ps3 software.

As for the backup containing bad files: it's a possibility indeed. To be honest, at this point I'd just backup all the saves I can to another drive or to PS Plus Cloud Storage and then format the entire new 500GB SSD you just got and then download/copy back those save files to your newly formatted SSD, while updating the system itself to newest OFW (4.88 I believe) through the internet (in the PS3 system settings), then after all that is done, download/reinstall the games you want.

Or don't do that and just download/update your system through the internet as mentioned in the previous paragraph and keep playing on the current SSD/drive while making periodic backups of your save files. If it works fine for now, that there isn't much reason to keep trying to fix it.

I'm going to give my own example: My ps3 had some issues with damaged traces on the motherboard about 3 weeks ago. When playing, it caused the console itself to simply turn itself off for no reason and every time it shut down, it prompted me to perform the restore file system thing, but it couldn't actually do it because the system would shut off much before it, so I just chose to skip this operation a few times while making some backups before sending the system to the repair shop. In the repair shop, they were able to fix the problem without having to format my HDD (which made me very happy), but still the system had those 'pending' restore file system operations that skipped or just outright didn't complete because of system malfunction. Could those sudden turn off cause some corruptions in the file system? Yes, most likely. But I'm not going to manually perform the file system restore thing through PS3 safe mode because the last time I did, it said the hard-drive was corrupted and couldn't be fixed in which my only solution was to format it, leading to huge loss of data, so I'm not toying with that option. My system itself is running fine for now and I have a PS Plus subscription that automatically uploads all my save files into the cloud storage every day, so if it happens to corrupt sometime down the line, at least I'm already covered on that. In another words, file system corrupt or not, I'll just keep playing on it as it is, maybe I'll perform a file system restore once it decides to crash or turn itself off in the future, but not for now.