PSN Struggling With New Router

Dreakon139

Not sure what's up with this. I set up my new router, it's working great on my laptop (just feet away from the PS3, so it's not a signal problem). I turn the PS3 on, redirect it to the new network name, pop in the encryption key... it fails the test at Playstation Network. My first thought is ports... but UPNP is enabled on the router. To my understanding that opens ports as they're needed.

Next step, shut everything down for a minute or so. I unplug the modem and router, wait, plug them back in. Turn the PS3 on and try the test again. It succeeds! Huzzah! I try the test once more to see if it was a fluke... and it fails on Playstation Network again. Thinking maybe the test is just messed up, I try actually connecting to PSN to no avail.

I shut the PS3 down, turn it back on... and the test succeeds! I try signing into PSN and it works! I try the test again, just for kicks... and it fails. I try signing into PSN, and it fails.

So the lesson I learned from all this, the test seems to ruin the connection if run more than once in a sitting. If I don't bother with the test, PSN seems to work well enough. EDIT: Actually, I just tried signing out and signing back into PSN and it wouldn't let me. I guess I'm only allowed one sign-in per sitting as well... EDIT2: I just tried signing in after letting the PS3 sit there for a few minutes and it worked. The f***?

I tried playing NHL 12 online (when I could sign in) and while it took a while to connect to EA's servers, once I actually got in there was pretty much no lag whatsoever.

Quite frankly, I'm just starting to think that the PS3 and PSN are pretty flaky and it's not really a router issue. If it is a router issue though (perhaps others have had similar problems) does anyone have any ideas how to improve stability? Would opening ports (despite having UPNP enabled) help?

Thanks!

Try putting your PS3 into the DMZ, it sounds more like a Firewall issue than anything else. Putting your PS3 in the DMZ will bypass the firewall and ensure that ALL ports are open. (No, this will not open you up to hacking or anything else).

If you are not sure how to do this, drop me a line and I'll be glad to help ya' through it.

If your router is mere feet from the ps3, plug it in with an ethernet. Hardwired is ALWAYS better.

The laptop (which also uses the router) is feet from the PS3. The router is in another room, I just mentioned that because the signal strength is "Excellent" on the laptop... so it's not a matter of the router being too far away. :P

Try putting your PS3 into the DMZ, it sounds more like a Firewall issue than anything else. Putting your PS3 in the DMZ will bypass the firewall and ensure that ALL ports are open. (No, this will not open you up to hacking or anything else).

If you are not sure how to do this, drop me a line and I'll be glad to help ya' through it.

I think I'll give that a try... can I put only the PS3 in the DMZ or will it effect my entire connection? I don't like the idea I may have to do that for this to work, but at the very least doing so may help me troubleshoot.

I think I'll give that a try... can I put only the PS3 in the DMZ or will it effect my entire connection?

Yes, you can only have one device in the DMZ, and you should NEVER put a computer in the DMZ as it will be 100% unprotected from Firewalls, Anti-virus programs, etc.

The PS3 is completely safe to put in the DMZ, and it will have its own static IP, so only that device will be in the DMZ. This is a very easy procedure, and should take no more than 10 minutes to complete....5 of those minutes will be power-cycling the modem and router.

Yes, you can only have one device in the DMZ, and you should NEVER put a computer in the DMZ as it will be 100% unprotected from Firewalls, Anti-virus programs, etc.

The PS3 is completely safe to put in the DMZ, and it will have its own static IP, so only that device will be in the DMZ. This is a very easy procedure, and should take no more than 10 minutes to complete....5 of those minutes will be power-cycling the modem and router.

Well, I messed around with this and after putting it in the DMZ it seemed to work fine... so I took it off the DMZ and disabled it on the router and now it appears to still be working fine. :unsure:

Well, I messed around with this and after putting it in the DMZ it seemed to work fine... so I took it off the DMZ and disabled it on the router and now it appears to still be working fine. :unsure:

Chances are is still has a static IP assigned to it (unless you removed that as well, which would help as well. Either way, glad it is working for ya'! :yay:

Chances are is still has a static IP assigned to it (unless you removed that as well, which would help as well. Either way, glad it is working for ya'! :yay:

Yeah, I re-did the internet on the PS3 and assigned everything to Automatic. I think I'm in the clear for now, thanks for the help! :P