Skyrim Difficulty?

Dreakon139

I'm kind of wondering what difficulty you guys are playing on.

I'm playing at Adept (which was the default and I assume is the "Medium" for this game)... but it seems pretty easy so far. Not that I'm complaining, it's kind of relaxing compared to 90% of my other games that have me slamming my fist into the coffee table. Plus none of the trophies are difficulty-oriented so maybe I can get the platinum someday by playing and just enjoying myself.

And who knows, maybe the game will get considerably more difficult later on and I'll be thankful I kept it at Adept for the sake of my sanity. :P

I'm also a little curious what the difference is between the difficulties, if anyone knows. Right now it seems my little companion can't die (they just buckle over for a little bit), which is really helpful but kind of unrealistic. Do the harder difficulties change that? Do they change anything else?

Thanks guys!

Difficulty only affects combat, nothing else. There can be some tough spots. In fact, during the quest for Azura's Star, I had to bump the difficulty down a touch because the Dremora Caitiff's were kicking my ass pretty bad.

Enemies die easier, and do less damage, etc. Everything else, I believe, stays the same.

The companion thing I can't speak on, as I don't use them. Unless you mean a companion you have during a quest - in which case it could just be because they are a main character and can't be killed. Oblivion had the same thing - important characters could only be knocked unconscious.

The companion thing I can't speak on, as I don't use them. Unless you mean a companion you have during a quest - in which case it could just be because they are a main character and can't be killed. Oblivion had the same thing - important characters could only be knocked unconscious.

Well, my brother answered this for me (since he also got Skyrim for his PC). He plays on the hardest difficulty with pretty much everything he plays, and his companions don't die either. I don't think it's a particularly important NPC, it's just a person that was (apparently permanently) given to me to protect me at some point in one quest. Apparently that's how it goes though.

Whatever i chose i think it was the exact middle of the 5 choices... I never start on hard unless there is a trophy for it, lol... i like to enjoy my RPGs and so far Skyrim has been perfect... i have died a few times picking fights with things like Giants who one-hit-kill you and running into battle unprepared and being careless... but other than that my fireballs have been dominating... Im all about throwing a few fireballs until the enemy gets close and the bonking them on the head with my axe...

also i found a good way to take out mammoths... just find a cave or somewhere that they cant hit you and fire arrows, fireballs etc at them until they bite the dust... otherwise they are very hard to kill and they run faster than you can, lol