Fights/Flying is Difficult

I am still at the beginning and understand that the Platypus is not the best ship. However, I can't make it to the first station for the first-story mission because along the way, PIRATES. At least a dozen. I can't fight them all and win. I can't outrun them. So, any thoughts or advice? I get it also may be I suck at dogfight games and do honestly think they are garbage and not worth pursuing but I liked the original Rebel Galaxy and wanted to learn more of the story.

• 8 months later...

I thought so, too, especially after upgrading to a Durston early on, which made the ill-conceived difficulty scaling go nuts. Suddenly, there were dozens of enemy craft missile spamming me into oblivion everywhere. Talking my way out of most encounters (touchpad) was my usual solution. Failing that, I would divert all power to engines for an escape, while repeatedly dumping power to shields to survive the shots to my tail. After I mined up enough credits for a fully upgraded Foxbat, though, the combat became tremendously easier. It's probably the best overall ship in the game, being the only fighter with a medium hull and a turret. Haven't lost a single dogfight since! I bought mine at Bountiful Vista.

• Like 1