Can't Continue+ on NG+ files? "This data lets you continue the game in a strong state"

Alright, this is a little convoluted of a question but I'll try my best:

Can you only Continue+ onto fresh game files? I have a slew of branching saves I made in my second playthrough, but after killing the final boss and using Continue+ in this second playthrough, I'm only able to continue from 2 files I had from my first playthrough and every other file has a message that says, "This data lets you continue the game in a strong state" and doesn't allow me to use Continue+

Do I just have to do another clear to register this second playthrough as an "old" one? Really wish I made branching saves on my FIRST playthrough instead . . . . 

It's still quite unclear to me what the conditions of Continue+ are, and yes I did encounter this problem on save files with close intervals from the last TD battle.

But I never had this problem with my branching saves from my first playthrough.

30 minutes ago, Unpreeh said:

It's still quite unclear to me what the conditions of Continue+ are, and yes I did encounter this problem on save files with close intervals from the last TD battle.

But I never had this problem with my branching saves from my first playthrough.

Word, I can confirm it's strictly only saves from your FIRST, UNCLEARED files that you can Continue+ on. Ugh I had no idea this was the case;  I'll have to do a very large section of the game over again, but I'm still missing the 500 battles and level 99 trophies, so it's not *so* bad.

Praise be to Lavos for being a compulsive saver. 

Edited by VerseEnComa
  • Like 2

Nope, just save before the final form of the Time Devourer, if you want to finish stuff up before New Game Plus, either do it before the final boss, or load the file and start from there. I've been playing this game from the beginning since its first release in 2000 and it's what I always did.

Edited by Nitemares-----