Cyrodiil Sky Shards

So, I just have a quick question about getting some of these sky shards, I have about 30/46 at the moment, and am wondering, since I'm getting closer to Enemy territory and some of the last ~4 shards I'll need to get are behind closed gates, or in the center of their land, there Scroll shrine if you will, for lack of better words.

the two, that are far right and left - behind what i assume are main gates into opposing land. and then the ones that are just outside faction initial spawn point.

would it be better/easier to use a toon of that alliance and gather the crystals on them, then buy the shards on another toon via the crown store?
 I'm only lv 36 with the character I'm trying this on, as I wish to avoid anything CP Related, Last time I attempted this, I was 1shot by a random archer I dint even see, 
I have managed to remove about 80% of the guards at their respective posts, attempting to siege the walls/gate - but I am unsure how to even damage these structures (I don't think I have done the tutorial on it) - and they start to respawn by the time I clear enough aggro from the gate.

Cause of how they changed the way in game achievements work with one of the last few updates, I think you can get it by using a toon of a different alliance.  I know i was able to get the “hero of…” trophies using multiple toons, so it might work for skyshards, im not 100% sure though.

I tried on another toon who was with the aldraian?? ( Red) faction. She only had 1 shard.

So they didn't change how shards work.

But are able to buy faction shards at 750 crown once the achievement is unlocked. (ebon pact region cyrodiil shards (15/15)

I just don't know if I want to hunt down 30 shards between 2 characters when I'm less then 12 from all 46 on one, all because of where the shards are located

That's fair! 

Ya I'm close at getting it on my high elf templar.

It's just getting thru the gates, attacking them did nothing and I'm unsure if I need seige gear. Or how to use it.

I should Google more lol..(granted at work well asking the Q's)

So apparently to capture the gates or get them to open, I can't siege them as I thought but according to a 2015 forum post. You gotta capture the nearby castles.  Are they dreadfully hard to take over?  I can handle 6-10 trash mobs in the delvs. (Morphed wrong skill.. so my sustain isnt that good) and can take down 3-5 'pact' npcs as long as they arent spamming debuffs/stunning, me before running outta Mp/Stm.

Would it be feasible to take down a castle solo (maybe with a companion if I ever unlock them)

Edited by Blackmist_FFXI
Stuff

One thing I will mention is that the less travelled campaigns are good to keep an eye on for this, as it is pretty common for one alliance to get emp and then flip the entire map, opening the gates for the other alliances. Now is a great time too because the double AP extra campaigns almost always get taken over by one alliance! Then between knowing which gates contain the shards you are missing and a little bit of discretion, you can wiggle in and find them. There is one shard behind every gate.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:01 PM, Blackmist_FFXI said:

That's fair! 

Ya I'm close at getting it on my high elf templar.

It's just getting thru the gates, attacking them did nothing and I'm unsure if I need seige gear. Or how to use it.

I should Google more lol..(granted at work well asking the Q's)

So apparently to capture the gates or get them to open, I can't siege them as I thought but according to a 2015 forum post. You gotta capture the nearby castles.  Are they dreadfully hard to take over?  I can handle 6-10 trash mobs in the delvs. (Morphed wrong skill.. so my sustain isnt that good) and can take down 3-5 'pact' npcs as long as they arent spamming debuffs/stunning, me before running outta Mp/Stm.

Would it be feasible to take down a castle solo (maybe with a companion if I ever unlock them)

Companions are disabled in Cyrodil. Soloing keeps is tricky because if other players show up to defend, you will get killed by players plus guards. If you are in a dead campaign and the map is quiet enough, it can be done. If you are going for solo yolo, take the resources before you hit the keep because the resources make different aspects of the keep tougher (farm makes guards hit harder and have more health, lumber makes doors have more health, mine makes walls have more health). Then get three basic ballistas and position them so that you can alternate between using all three to take down a wall (if you are precise, you can even use four in many cases). Make sure you have enough self healing to survive guards. 

But again, keep in mind that this is high risk to do solo because when keeps flag, other players show up. In quiet campaigns, there might only be one or two fights going on, so any players that are on will show up to defend whatever is being attacked. 

TLDR it can be done, but it really depends on the particular campaign, how active it is, what groups are on, etc, and it's usually just easier to find a group and be patient.  

I managed to get them :D

Logged in after work and saw that my faction held one keep, thus opening the gate and ebon pact held the other.

N ya. Almost took a fort solo. But then was 2shot by what I assume was a sorc.  Didn't see it coming lol.

• Like 1