Black screen after title

Veritas7Ax

Wanted to start this game for the first time tonight. After the title screen, it created save data, then said it was checking network data, which failed. I don't remember if I hit yes or no, but after that it was a black screen. I closed the app on my PS5 several times, no changes. I restarted my PS5 three times, still nothing. I uninstalled the game completely and reinstalled, still nothing.

This post on reddit made it sound like the game was unplayable and it should work fine on PS4 https://www.reddit.com/r/SoulCalibur/comments/k5lrr5/help_unable_to_retrieve_network_data_on_ps5/

However, after installing on my PS4, the issue is the exact same. Black screen after the title and checking save/network data. So the game is literally 100% unplayable for me right now on both consoles. What the heck? I feel like my only option is to ask for a refund from Sony, but I bought it a few months back, so I don't even know if that's an option.

Edit: I ended up getting it to work thanks to the solution in the same link above. Starting the game fresh on PS5 or PS4 led to a black screen. Only by specifically uploading my save file (wasn't really a save since I didn't start the game) to the cloud and downloading it to PS4 was I able to get past the black screen.

So if anyone else runs into this problem, maybe try that.

Edited by Veritas7Ax

• 6 months later...
20 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

So there's no way to play this game on PS5 without using PS4 cloud saves or a PS5 save transferred to the PS4 and then back again? There's no way to play without this workaround?

I could be wrong but I don’t think every single person has run into this black screen issue (or else there would be way more reports of it, I think). I’ve only heard of a couple others having this problem, mostly on Reddit. If you haven’t started the game yet, give it a try. If you get the black screen then yeah, this is the only workaround I’m aware of.

Strange. Interestingly though I have the disc version, can't beat disc versions. I platted it a few hours ago no problems. Also, one recommendation that the guide doesn't mention, as usual they suck. Best thing to do is stick to the light side, choose blue options and do good. SOULS OF LIBRE-Strictly stick to the missions only. When you reach the resolution quest make sure you BACK UP SAVE. 

At this point your scales should be ripped towards good.

Complete the resolution quest, and then start the fissures. Do not touch any fissure before starting the resolution quest (chapter 5) just keep an eye out for it. 

The guide sucks because it does not mention any precautions you need to take before the resolution quest. I spent an additional 3 hours speed running. I now pass on this knowledge to save you time 

2 hours ago, Veritas7Ax said:

I could be wrong but I don’t think every single person has run into this black screen issue (or else there would be way more reports of it, I think). I’ve only heard of a couple others having this problem, mostly on Reddit. If you haven’t started the game yet, give it a try. If you get the black screen then yeah, this is the only workaround I’m aware of.

I might give it a try at some point, I was checking the games available with Extra and realised I hadn't added this one to my library.